Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing versions (releases) on a Greenhopper Kanban board

Chris Morphew December 13, 2012

We are essentially using versions as our project 'containers' is there a way of showing a release object as a card on a Kanban board?

4 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Peter Frandsen December 9, 2013

Still looking for a solution to this using Jira Agile and KanBan instead of Scrum, to collect a versions all issues and notes.

Anyone got an updated answer to this? Thx :-)

0 votes
Chris Morphew December 30, 2012

Hello, thank you for your response.

We have the view of granular tasks you are referring to on the related project board (we have a separate board for each project) but we are after a high-level view of all projects.

As described, what we have done so far is created a custom object type to track these, but it would be a nicer solution to be able to plot the release as an object in it's own right.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2012

While I am not sure whether I completly understood your question, it appears to be me that you are want to visualize the flow of items which are belonging to a version.

Isn't Swimlanes the best solution for this?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Swimlanes

0 votes
Thiago Ribeiro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2012

No, I am afraid not. What would be the point for showing the version as a card?

Chris Morphew December 15, 2012

Hello,

The challenge I am having is choosing a hierarchy of objects that keeps things simple, but at the same time provides enough detail to be useful. It's early days for us - we haven't adopted Agile practices yet at our company, but have been advised that Kanban is a good way of visualising bottlenecks and helping to improve our processes.

We have one main software product (so I set this up as the only project container in Jira) and several projects going on concurrently building on this. The problem I find is that Jira only handles two levels of task (i.e. parent object and sub-task). If I use an object to track the status of a project on an overall high-level board one level is already 'wasted'.

The ideal would be to have a 'parent' object to track the overall status of a project, then be able to drill down into these and see sub-tasks and sub-sub tasks for the various departments. I'm currently fiddling about with the Structure plugin and custom fields, but it is getting pretty complicated.

It occured to me that actually a 'project' for us is really just a version number (or release) of the product that can consist of all or any of these: new feature, bug fixes, refactoring improvements, infrastructure changes. It is already possible to assign multiple objects to versions in Jira (they appear in the roadmap tab and the classic GH planning board) so it would be perfect to be able to visualise these versions on a Kanban board (i.e. be able to apply a status to a version).

You can sort of do this using either of the Gantt plugins available but those only really visualise a bar between the start and end dates and don't tell you at a glance that version 7.5.5 is in regression testing for example.

Chris Morphew December 20, 2012

Any thoughts on this one?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events