Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share a board with the client and use it with devs, how to do it best?

Laura Więch June 17, 2020

Problem:

I want to share the same board for website maintenance account with the client and the dev team. I can't figure out the best way on how to do it in the next-gen project to not to create too many columns on the board.

For the CLIENT's task approval process I need the following:

1. Feedback (list of tasks they want to do)
2. Valuation (us estimating tasks, them saying if they want to do it or not)
3. Approved (client agrees with the estimates and wants to schedule this in)
4. Rejected (tasks they don't want to do now, maybe in the future)
5. Done

For the DEVS, the usual
1. To do
2. In progress
3. Ready to review
4. Done

QUESTIONS:

I am worried this is 9 columns, that I don't really want to see in one board. It's definitely too much.

1. Is there a way to limit the columns user can see? So the client can see those related to them and devs the same?
2. Is there a way to play with it somehow in the backlog, using epics, plan sprints etc?

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Ben Munk June 19, 2020

One way could be have your board like this

1. In discussion (backlog)

2.  to do,

3. in progress, 

4.  for review,

5. done.

Then have a custom status against all the tasks sitting in 'in discussion'

Task moves through each custom status (estimation, approval etc) before processing to 'to do'.

In case your interested we're working on a tool that makes it easy for clients to create tasks, give feedback, and see the status of all work in progress, without having to login to Jira.

https://getsifta.com

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 22, 2020
Ben Munk June 23, 2020

@Kat Warner  - Thanks for pointing that out.  I will make sure to follow the rules from here on.  Hopefully the OP found the rest of my answer useful. 

Like Kat Warner likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2020

A board is supposed to be a shared common view of a set of issues.

So, no, there is no way to do this as you've suggested, because it's not what boards are for.

But you can do what you are looking for by considering view by audience.  Have two boards, with different configuration, but the same selection of issues, one for the client, one for the devs.  I'd recommend a scrum board for the devs, and kanban for the clients.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events