Multiple Projects one Kanban Board (or Scrum Board)

Mauricio G December 9, 2013

Hi all,

In our company, one single team is working on different projects at the same time.

We have created one single Scrum Board where we added all the User Stories (from the different projects) for the current Sprint.

The problem is that when looking at the BurnDown it doesn't reflect the status of the single projects, just the status of all the User Stories in the Backlog plus the status of the User Stories the Team is working on and this creates a flat Burndown Chart as the User Story list in the Backlog is very big and what the team had selected are just a few User Stories.

Also it doesn't reflect the status of every single project.

Do you have any advice for managing these cases? Do you have any samples, documentations, etc?

Thank you

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
robertlagrant May 25, 2015

Yeah I have the same requirement. For Scrum it makes sense that one board = one project, because that's how Scrum works, but for Kanban, where you're meant to see team-based workload, rather than project based, it's really disappointing that they've just done a quick and dirty one kanban board = one project. Expected more.

Kjell-Edmund Ims March 2, 2020

I came here (and many other places) to look for advice on this same topic... We are a small R&D group that gets pelted with wish-list items from the sales team, support projects, new development projects etc.  Frankly, it is currently nearly impossible to tell what is in progress and what the priority is vs what it should be... 

Kanban seems when reading about it to be the solution, except I can't find good resources on project vs kanban board.  If I put all the things on one board, it becomes hard to see/track projects, but if I put separate boards, I loose team oversight, and WIP limitations break down (I think) since each project could fill up their columns which would mean the team is overloaded?

0 votes
Ram Muthiah December 17, 2013

If you combine multiple projects in one board, that board's charts will reflect the status of all tickets (from all projects in that board) in the given sprint. If you want to see status of each project individually, you need to create separate board for each project. I do the same thing. I display burndown of all projects in my dashboard for quick overview during the scrum.

I manage multiple scrum teams. Each team has multiple projects. Some of these projects are combined to create a scrum board. I use JIRA gadgets that pull data from various boards to organize the dashboard.

Rashmi Gakhar March 16, 2017

Hi Ram, Can you please advise which JIRA Gadgets do you use to pull the data from various boards onto your dashboard.

Thanks

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events