Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked Issues Swimlanes?

cierralewis January 12, 2018

I currently have a JIRA Agile board, and I am trying to create a JQL query that will show all the linked sub-tasks under each parent task.

I know the JQL query: issue in linkedIssues("MFA-6")... will allow me to see all the sub-tasks under the parent task "MFA-6"... however.. what JQL query can I write that for each parent-task (swimlane) below will show it's sub-task?

issue in linkedIssues(<ALL?>)

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2018

Hey Cierra,

You actually may not have to edit the JQL at all.

Under Board Settings if you go to the Card Layout section you can add Sub-Tasks to both the Backlog and Active Sprints views.

This will show any linked Sub-Tasks under the issue without any JQL changes.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

cierralewis January 12, 2018

This is actually a great and less tedious alternative! Thank you!

Deleted user February 15, 2019

What if you aren't using SUB-TASKS, because the Burn-Up reports don't report completed Sub-tasks as "completion" (which if it was working the way it SHOULD, it WOULD)?

How would one do that.

Story

^^

||

|| Relates to

||

\==== Task

||

\==== Task

How do we monitor progress when Jira operates so illogically. If you're going to have Swimlanes to monitor Story progress by viewing Sub-tasks in the active Sprint, then support reporting the Burn-down or Burn-up via counting sub-tasks.....Sheesh!

Reka Ferencz July 25, 2019

Yeah I agree. Would be great to have burndown based on sub-tasks as currently this swim lane setup only works for Kanban teams but is not much help if you are using Scrum and want to report on progress within sprint. 

I'm using Technical Stories at the moment that I link to the user story and assign story points to. However if I wanted to see the related Technical stories and parent stories in a  swim lane I can only do it by manually creating JQL queries for each parent story and basing my swimlanes on these. This is just not right...   

Like # people like this
Deleted user August 25, 2020

Yes...it's just not right, is it.

Peter Jones August 23, 2021

@Reka, this is exactly the issue I am facing. Business create stories which the technical teams estimate and decompose into smaller tasks. To date I have used sub-tasks as the logical currency to deal with. This works great as we can see exactly what needs to be completed on order to deliver a particular story. We visualize stories as swim lanes on our board.

The problem lies in that our devops guys deploy in technical story "currency" and this is consistent across the firm (per technical platform). Rather than taking a Canute like approach it would be sensible for us to decompose into technical stories and replace the subtasks on our board with these.

Supporting such visualization with JIRA seems close to  impossible!

Like Deleted user likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events