Jira: How can I find out the sprint ID of a particular sprint?

Fabian Gautschi July 2, 2012

Hi everyone!

I want to set a filter that filters for issues which are in a particular sprint in Jira. For that purpose I need the sprint ID of a particular sprint. How can I find out the sprint ID of a particular sprint?

Thanks for your help!!

13 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

60 votes
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012

The hack i found was to view the sprint report for an active/closed sprint.

/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=4&view=reporting&chart=sprintRetrospective&sprint=1

The global Sprint ID will showup in the URL. I would really love AtLSSIAN to add a simple link that jumps to issue navigator, pre-filtered like the old boards did.

SabrinaB October 3, 2012

Thanks Eddie, you've helped me on this one!

Nikhil Joshi September 9, 2013

Hi Eddie,

Is there a sprint id associated with a future inactive sprint as well? For example, during sprint planning I create a new sprint on the Plan tab for different boards. Then I am writing a jql to pull out issues from "Next" sprints in every board but seems like jira/greenhopper only creates a sprint ID for active sprints?

Cheers,

Nikhil

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

@nIKHIL, you should start a new question for this topic. But in short no, the future sprints in the planning view are actually called "markers", and I do not think they are available via JQL- https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/52688/how-to-use-rapid-board-s-sprint-marker-in-jql-query, but you can get the list of issues in a future sprint from the rest api.

Also note that there should be a link in planning view on markers that says something like "view in inssue navigator"

Like # people like this
PoojaJ August 8, 2018

Thanks Eddie this really saved my time

Ramprasad February 21, 2019

Thank you!!

Bhumika Parikh October 28, 2020

@EddieW that did not work for me. My current sprint that I wanted to use had "16" at the end. I did a bulk change to edit about 7 issues to link to this sprint by typing "16" and it linked them to a completely different sprint from over a year ago.

21 votes
Maciek Pawlowski June 19, 2015

Alternatively, if you create a new query and type in Sprint = "Whatever", JIRA will replace "Whatever" with the sprint number.

Jamie Powell-Smull June 27, 2017

Awesome. This is straight forward and easy. It gave me my furture sprint id.

Like Vijay Krishnan likes this
Evgeny Erofeev February 8, 2018

does not work

Joseph Murphy April 24, 2018

Worked for me!

Haris Kamil July 11, 2019

worked for me! thanks!!

John Veneruso January 17, 2020

This works, but you have to wait a moment for the "autosuggestions" to appear below the JQL entry box and then move the mouse cursor, click on the autosuggestion, and voila, your autosuggestion that was identical to your sprint name is mysteriously replaced in the JQL entry area with the sprint ID.  (This is very non-intuitive)  I also looked for a column titled Sprint ID that I could simple add to the Issue Query output.  Alas, this doesn't exist in the column possibilities. 

Note:  This wouldn't be such a big problem if it weren't for the compounding restriction in Bulk Update that only Sprint ID's can be used in the Sprint field.

Like Sebastian Sandh likes this
Aidan McPeake February 16, 2021

That was very useful. Thankyou Maciek Pawlowski

Gautam De March 24, 2021

@Maciek - This works. Terrific. Thanks a lot

8 votes
John Smith August 28, 2014

Hover over the 'Future Sprint' link in a jira that is planned and the id will be shown in the URL link at the foot of your browser.

Corey Scott September 9, 2015

Failing this. You can use web developer tools and "Inspect element" on the sprint name. The sprint id is a property of the div container

Like # people like this
Kyle Anderson February 18, 2016

Corey's comment did the trick for me.

andros1337 NA February 13, 2017

Open that link(Future sprint) in the new tab. You'll see sprint param in the url which is sprint id

Deleted user December 6, 2017

Inspect element worked for me - thanks!

Paulina Guzik February 14, 2018

Corey, thanks a lot! It works.

Skowronek March 14, 2018

The fact one has to open up the developer tools to look up the sprint id in the code in order to obtain the Jira Sprint ID for the bulk transition to another sprint is asinine. Perhaps Atlassian can make it easier to locate the sprint ID in the transition jiras tool so one does not waste time trying to identify the ID in the first place.

But I digress, thanks for the reminder on this @Corey Scott

Mary Giblin March 15, 2018

remove comment

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

@Jason, there's no need to use developer tools, you can see the sprint ID by hovering over as John Smith says. I agree it could be more easily found. Also, it should be used more, e.g. it would be great to have a url including it which allowed the backlog to open with that particular sprint expanded and ll the others collapsed.

6 votes
JinH March 23, 2016

Hover works on the three dots icon of the dashboard/backlog view. Hover over the icon and see the sprintID in the URL view at the bottom of the browser. Works for both future sprints and active sprints.

David Labbadia October 25, 2017

Simplest, best answer.

Like # people like this
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2018

Simplest Way!

Edison Quisiguina May 8, 2018

Thanks,

It works for me too.

Going to Backlog view and hover over the Three Dots

mouse-hover.png

Abe_Roba July 26, 2018

Mouse hover does not work

Gabi February 10, 2019

As simply as that... Congratulations, @Edison Quisiguina.

Like Edison Quisiguina likes this
Ariel García February 11, 2019

Thanks. You can see the id in the botton of the page.

Like Edison Quisiguina likes this
2 votes
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2019

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-get-Sprint-ID-for-CSV-import/qaq-p/58364 

post #2

JIRA maintains an equivalent numeric value for each Sprint. The numeric value is what you need to have in the CSV file,

To find the numeric equivalent of a sprint, do the following : Go to Issue navigator, and specify the following query: sprint = Sprint 18.

When you finish typing Sprint 18, you will see the corresponding numeric value displayed in the query

image.png

2 votes
Alexey Popov October 5, 2016
  1. Go to Backlog board
  2. Right click on any element related to your sprint control (edit button, threee dots)
  3. Inspect you sprint id in element attributes

1 vote
Kirk Franzen May 14, 2020

Crazy, but this is still a blocking issue for managing issues in bulk.

Joe Ash June 17, 2021

When doing the bulk dates, i find having the backlog open in another tab and using devtools and selecting the sprint name is the easiest way to find out the sprint ID. So just F12 in Chrome and it's there for you in the Elements tab.

Hope that helps.

1 vote
Ankit Rathi February 27, 2019

Step 1 - Go to the Backlog page

Step 2 - Open Inspect element by right clicking anywhere in the page and selecting inspect (for google chrome)

Step 3 - Search for data-sprint-id in the inspect element section. Beside the entry you would find the id of the sprint in focus in UI.

aromanov March 20, 2019

In Next-Gen projects I can't find data-sprint-id

Like # people like this
david February 12, 2021

sadly this is the easiest way for me to find sprint id in cloud thanks @Ankit Rathi 

1 vote
Chris Covert February 7, 2018

What if someone sends you a filter to run with sprint ids only

sprint in (22, 33, 44)

It returns the issues list and looking at the sprint column of the report, you can see them, but if the issue runs across multiple sprints you get multiple user friendly sprint names for a single issue, so how do you know which one correlates to 22, 33, and 44?

Basically looking for a reverse lookup from  index to friendly name

Vicki Lea Tsang February 9, 2018

There's probably a better solution than this out there, but one way that works, if the sprints were added after ticket creation, is to check the History tab on the ticket. Look for where the sprints were added and it will list out the sprint names, plus their IDs (in same order as name).

Like Flash_Sheridan likes this
0 votes
Joe Ash June 17, 2021

The quickest way I've come across to discover the sprint ID is to inspect the element of the sprint name when in the backlog. So just F12 when using Chrome and select the sprint name. Check out devtools and the ID is there for you.

Marco Ocana June 23, 2021

Thanks Joe! This did the trick for me (ridiculous this is so convoluted)

0 votes
Tim Dowd May 12, 2021

Another quick way to find the Sprint ID is:

1. Do a Basic issue search for known items for "Sprint = YourSprintName"
  2. Then look at the Advanced search text and it will have the "Sprint = nnnnn".
0 votes
Midhun Jose June 20, 2017

Go to backlog board. Find the respective sprint click on the small icon against the spirnt. You will be taken to a new screen wherer the sprint id is given in the search filed

0 votes
Deleted user May 17, 2016

In the Sprint View click on the icon to the right of the sprint name that produces a Query for the sprint.

The url includes the sprint number:
... ?jql=sprint %3D 117

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events