Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import a value to a custom field with a list in JIRA

Teruyo Abe December 3, 2020

I am trying to import issues from a csv file to JIRA.
One custom field [Category] in JIRA returns error.
It is defined that that field value shall be selected from a list.
I copied the value from the list and pasted to the corresponding column of the record in csv.

The following message is returned:

The value [{null=AAA}] can't be added to the Custom Field [Category]. The value
[{null=XXX}]can't be found or is in the incorrect format

How shall I modify the value in csv file?
I create a csv file from MS Excel.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Tom Kakanowski December 4, 2020

Its been a few years since I've done what you are doing, but if memory serves correctly, then the answer is simply to either a) replace nulls in your CSV with a default value aligning with the list defined in Jira for Category, b) change the custom field in Jira to allow nulls (I don't recommend this though), or c) check if, instead of null, you can pass an empty string which might be accepted.  (a) is how I went about this.  I also had the scenario where my category domain was larger than that in Jira, so there was a bit of customization in Jira as well.

Having said all that, the returned message doesn't quite seem to fit the scenario you're describing though. [{null=XXX}] seems like the issue may be that your import column isn't mapping correctly to the custom field Category.  Just a guess, but if that is the only custom field, then you should understand that custom fields are addressed differently in Jira's internal schema than standard fields, so are imported differently.  Consider the advice given here.  I hope this is helpful.

Teruyo Abe December 27, 2020

Hi, Tom.

Thanks for your information.

And I apologize my late response.

Regarding to your point a), I know that the Category field is mandatory and do not leave it blank, I copy the text from the field definition page and paste it to the spreadsheet.

For b), I do not have the privilege to modify master setting.

Wish your happy new year.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events