Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come Rapid Board In-Progress Counts Don't Seem to Work with Swimlanes based on Stories?

Craig Bye October 22, 2012

I am using a Scrum Rapid Board.

By default, the Rapid Board creates swimlanes based on stories. This is great. It's easy to visualize in Work mode.

My problem is that as developers move sub-tasks to In-Progress, the base or parent story is always in Todo. I can't see how to move the base story into In-Progress without removing the story-based swimlane?

Ideally to me, if you move a subtask of a story into 'In Progress' the parent task is 'In Progress' as well. The Rapid Board Story Point counts are then off, because the base story (which has story-points) is never in progress. It just moves to done when the subtasks are done.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2012

Hi Craig,

The swimlane, by design, spans across all statuses. It does not appear in one status and therefore will not transition from To Do to In Progress to Done like the subtasks.

If you'd like to manage the parent task's status you may need to reconfigure your board to have the parent tasks appear as cards rather than swimlanes.

Hope this was helpful!

Craig Bye October 22, 2012

Thanks for the answer. It seems weird to me that the default swimlane for a scrum project makes the in-progress count useless.

This was basically the only thing that I could see as well. It just seems like the Rapid Board should be smarter and ask to update the parent task just like it does when moving the last sub task to done.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2012

Yes, we'd like to make the board prompt you to update the parent story to in progress but I'm not sure when we'll implement that. The manual workaround is to click on the parent story and then use the Cog menu or the dialog that comes up when you hit the '.' keyboard shortcut to update the status of the parent.

Thanks,
Shaun

todesco October 14, 2013

Hi,

Has there been any progress on this over the past year?

BR
Joakim

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events