Creating an issue on one Kanban board appears on another board?

Fadi Chehimi July 28, 2016

Hi

I have never used Kanban boards before, but now I am exploring them for particular project settings.

I have three Kanban boards under one project. When I create a new issue and have one Kanban board active the issue is created successfully. But when I move to another board, i see that created issue there too!!

The same applies when moving issues around the different workflow columns. When I move one issue on one board, it moves on all other boards too.

Is there something I am missing or do not understand about Kanban boards? Or I am doing something wrong in creating Issues?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Fadi

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Benjamin Vonlanthen July 28, 2016

Hi Fadi

Important to know is that what is shown on a kanban and also on sprint boards is based on a filter. This determines what you see in combination with the status in the columns.

So if your three kanban boards have all the same filter query, you see the same issues and therefore also the same movements in tasks.

If you want to split this you can do this by adjusting the queries. e.g.:

1. project=TEST and type=Bug
  2. project=TEST and type=Feature
  3. project=TEST and type-Task

This way each board shows different issue types.

Depending on how you want to have the difference in your three boards you should adjust your queries.

I hope that helps and clarifies some.

Best regards

Benjamin

1 vote
Stefan Arnold
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2016

The Kanban-Board works with filters.

So something like "project = xyz" and status 1" is lane 1, "project = xyz and status 2" is lane 2 and so on.

When your ticket fulfills the requirement of then filters an multiple kanban-boards it also reacts to them.

So if you want more seperated Kanbanboards you have to adjust your filters.

Something like kanbanboard 1 only issuetype xyz, board 2 only issuetyp abc .

0 votes
Benjamin Vonlanthen July 29, 2016

What do you mean by work stream? Their workflows? If you have 1 workflow with several parallel streams then you will have to work with status, or some custom field information. Otherwise you can determine by issue type, which I would say is the easiest.

Fadi Chehimi July 31, 2016

Sorry I used the term we use internally to describe a certain piece of work smile

Think of "work stream" as one project. It incorporates several tasks each moves through stages (as in a workflow). I want to use Kanban boards to track the progress of each task for each of the three projects on hand. 

Your suggestion of filtering by issue type would work. I will need to create a new Issue Type Scheme to make that more explicit.

I was just wondering if there was another approach to create tasks under one board, rather than having them common across all boards.

Again many thanks

Like Tobias Uhd likes this
0 votes
Fadi Chehimi July 29, 2016

That is very interesting. Many thanks @Benjamin Vonlanthen and @Stefan Arnold

So it is all about filter type. What if I am tracking three different work streams using three Kanban boards. Each stream would have its own tasks, that is, the type is always a task, no bugs or epics. Does that mean it will be impossible to separate tasks based on their corresponding work stream (or add them to separate boards)?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events