Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a Board owner as a system admin

Silvia Bonati September 5, 2012

Hi All,

I'm a system admin and I need to change the owner for a board (previous Rapid Boards) since the current owner is on leave.

In the GreenHopper guide it says that the owner or an administrator

Changing a board's Owner
A board's owner is the only person who can change the configuration of a board. By default, the owner of a board is the person who created it. If you are the owner, or an administrator, you can change the owner of a board.

To change the owner of your board:

Access the board Configuration for your board (see above).
Click the 'pencil' icon (which will appear when you hover) to edit the owner of your board. Press the 'Enter' key when finished.

However this works only for boards I'm allowed to view as a user.

How can I change the owner for Boards that don't appear in my view since they were not shared with me or any other administrator?

Thanks a lot in advance

5 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

13 votes
Answer accepted
David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

Hi,

As GreenHopper uses JIRA Filters (JQL) to create the issueset for each board, you may need to change the owner of the shared filter (underlying the board) to be visible to you as well. This is possible in one of the later versions of JIRA, starting with JIRA 5.0.

Hope that helps?

Cheers, David

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

Go to system administration (as system administrator, obviously) and enter "Filter" into to quick search box (on the administration side of things).

Also you could just use this URL: <JIRA-URL>/secure/admin/filters/ViewSharedFilters.jspa

Like # people like this
Silvia Bonati September 5, 2012

Hi David,

thanks for your feedback. We are running Jira 5.1.3 so should not be a problem, but not sure how I get to see filters that are not shared with me in the first place?

I tried to search for it, but it doesn't appear in my list. Cannot see anything in the Administration section to see all existing filters and/or boards

Thanks

Jake Zava June 29, 2018

using the URL: <JIRA-URL>/secure/admin/filters/ViewSharedFilters.jspa  worked perfectly!  thanks!

Unbelievable that you need to do that.

Like # people like this
Brian Strickler November 16, 2018

Seconded.  This was a massive help.  

Thank you Jake and David!!!!!! 

Like Derek Evans likes this
Patrick Bindels August 14, 2019

This works!, thanks Jake.

We are using Jira Cloud.

Tawanda Latimore January 14, 2020

OMG thank you so much - I wasted so much time trying to find this (as per usual when trying to admin Jira or make any changes that a normal UI would make simple)

Kiran MS January 20, 2020

@Jake Zava  Thanks for the URL it helped a lot

Uday M February 18, 2020

Thanks Jake
You have saved my lot of time....

Mikaela Bertucci March 30, 2020

Hi there, 

I"m really confused about where I am supposed to paste the URL 

And am I pasting just this 

<JIRA-URL>/secure/admin/filters/ViewSharedFilters.jspa

Can someone help me?  I have a user who was deleted as the Board Owner right now and I want to change that to me. 

Mikaela Bertucci March 30, 2020

I just figured this out!!!! OMG .. Yay! 

Like Ronak Koya likes this
Ronak Koya October 28, 2020

The link works

URL: <JIRA-URL>/secure/admin/filters/ViewSharedFilters.jspa 

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2021

I'm very happy that my nearly 10 years old answer still helps people :)

Like Joe Doherty likes this
0 votes
jphan@arete.com September 3, 2021

Works for me. Thanks.

0 votes
Bill Latham November 8, 2018

Another fun scenario is when there's a board and someone deletes the shared filter, leaving the board in your database but unavailable to the UI -- Project Configurator will complain about this if you're trying to export boards in this condition.  The workaround is to insert the ID of an existing filter that you own at the database level into the configuration for the board (i.e., update the value in SAVED_FILTER_ID in the AO)#####_RAPIDVIEW table), restart your server, and voila, you can now administer the board through the UI.

0 votes
David Suh March 28, 2018

Hi, I tried this solution but it no longer works as there is no pencil when you hover over the board owner name in the board settings page. Is there a new way to solve changing the board owner now as an admin? Thanks.

Chris Collins April 5, 2018

Hi David,

I was seeing the same behaviour here until I followed David Toussaint's advice above; changing the owner of the filter automatically changed the owner of the board for me but I guess it might depend on your version.

0 votes
Alexey Anisimov August 22, 2013

Hello!

Could you please tell me whether it's possible to change board permissions if the board is already created? My colleagues can't see it...

Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2013

Alexey, the permissions are based on the Saved Filter that the board uses. This can be updated at any time.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events