Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see resolved issues in scrum board

Arun Ramalingam November 13, 2012

Hi - I cannot see resolved and closed issues in the scrum board even though the Board filter shows the issues.

Can someone help? Sub-tasks are visible but no issues are visible even in the backlog if they have been closed or resolved

4 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2012

It is by design. Resolved issues are not shown in Planning. Can you tell me why do you need to have resolved issue in planning, isn't it contradicting the whole concept of resolution?

EDIT: I stand corrected, the resolution really does not matter. It is purely based on the status that is mapped to the last column of the board configuration.

So if the 'Resolution' status is mapped to the last column (the traditional JIRA workflow), it will not appear in the planning board as the issue is considered none.

Arun Ramalingam November 18, 2012

It is not showing up on the work board, I do understand the reasoning behind planning. But if I start a sprint with certain resolved issues, they should show up as done so I can have a good view of whats done and whats in progress.

Nicholas Sahagian December 12, 2013

Hi, I am having the same problem. We have recently migrated a project from mingle to JIRA, and would like to track previous iterations (sprints) using the agile board. Would this be possible to accomplish?

1 vote
Arun Ramalingam November 15, 2012

The status are mapped correctly in the configure section of the board. Specifically - Resolved and Closed statuses are mapped to the Done column.

But they still dont show up in the planning board. What else can I do?

Arun Ramalingam November 15, 2012

Can someone reply please?

Victor Peters May 17, 2018

Same issue here.

We use our own custom workflow and have every states/stages/steps in de workflow mapped to one of for columns on the scrum board (To Do, Doing, Verify and Done).

The filter on which the board is based shows the Closed issues as well, but they don't appear on the board in the Done column.

Any help would be welcome.

We use JIRA 7.2.4.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2018

The boards have changed significantly in the last 5 years, but we can still try.

What exactly does the board filter say, and are your "closed" issues showing as being in the current sprint?

Ding October 22, 2018

I have the same problem. The closed issues will appear in the current sprint. 

However, closed issues in future sprints don't appear, even if the filter includes them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2018

A closed issue should appear in the current sprint, in the right hand column (i.e. the end of the process) until the sprint is ended.

Once an issue is done, it won't appear in the backlog because it's done, nor on newer sprints, because it has been done and doesn't need to be in them. 

Thiago Schmid November 22, 2018

Moving from a Kanban to a Scrum Project we created a future sprint with Done issues even with all the configurations set to display everything, it is not possible to see the done issues in the future sprint in the backlog. Could be an expected behaviour but it makes things hard to understand, sometimes the team need to view Done statuses in future sprint to plan the next tasks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2018

Yes, that's correct.  Think about the definitions of these things:

• Done: The issue is finished with, ended, it needs no further action.
  • Backlog:  A list of things that need doing

You should never see done things in a backlog.  It's wrong, and makes the whole concepts of done and backlog total nonsense.

Vincent Paratore August 23, 2019

Would you want to be able to see work done in previous sprints so that you can estimate future work?  It just seems way too cumbersome to have to do a query of issues to find a closed story.

From a developers perspective it makes sense to hide them, but from a SCRUM Master's or a Product Owner's perspective it would be helpful to see what closed stories exist in the current or previous sprints

I know one way to do this is add a "dummy" status to the right most column of your workflow but this seems unnecessary.  There has to be some way to allow you to see closed stories in the "Backlog" view of your board right?

Like # people like this
c_sykora September 13, 2020

I'd love to hear this answer. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2020

The answer is already given above - it's total nonsense to see done issues in a backlog.  The definition of a backlog is "stuff that needs attention", which explicitly means "not seeing stuff that does not need attention"

0 votes
Jeff Kelley April 15, 2020

In the real world, there will always be work items you want to track in a sprint, even if the work was finished by the developer early, like the day before you developed the sprint board. Our QA still needs to be able to view what to test at the end of the sprint. To not be able to put resolved items into the sprint for tracking is a significant deficiency.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2020

An item should only be resolved when it is done.  Otherwise you are lying to your people.  If it is done, it should be at the end of the current sprint and because it's done, it won't go into another one.

In the case you mention, the issue should have been added to the sprint in which the developer finished it when they picked it out of the backlog as an "item beyond commitment because we have capacity"

For my teams it's useful to meet with the PO and talk about sprint priorities in the same backlog view with stories marked as complete.  Usually this wouldn't be a problem in our normal workflow but we have run a Kanban style board and are switching over to Scrum mid "sprint" so we have more flexibility (running a Kanban board with a backlog view).  So all of the work we have completed is lost unless I re-open stories.  

Is there another way to trick jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2020

No, you'd have to change your process such that you stop thinking done things are done and have no idea of what needs doing.

If I were you, I would stop the already broken process of switching between Scrum and Kanban.  Decide on a single way to work and stick with it.

You misunderstood my question.  Jira answered it for me when I started the sprint in the newly made scrum board.  It's important for the product owner and I to see whats coming next, whats in progress, and whats already finished to help identify what we focus on.  Completed items in the "sprint" backlog will show up.  Which is what we needed and my original question.

Thanks anyways. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2020

No, I understood the question - you wanted to add closed items to a board, which is explicitly not what they are for.

Ok, thanks. 

TLDR for anyone in the future coming in with this question: 

- "Done" stories will show up in an active sprint backlog they are assigned to.  All you need to do is kick off the sprint in Jira and they will appear (meaning they won't show up if the sprint is not started)

- They will disappear from the backlog once that sprint is closed.  If you want to view completed work, try setting up a filter view based on your project's needs.

0 votes
PauloP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

Hi Arun

Did you check the board settings? I believe that you may not have those status properly mapped in the scrum board.

So, please review the configuration using the following link as your guideline:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Columns

Also, perhaps you should raise a new support ticket for an advanced assistance.

Cheers,

Paulo Renato

Lacey McDonnell February 9, 2016

The board settings are correct. I'm having the same issue.

rahul bhide January 7, 2020

In our scrum projects, issue is resolved when bug fix is done, the resolved issue is closed when QA verifies it as working as expected. In that case displaying resolved issue does makes sense, also the current sprint if issue is Closed, scrum master might want to know the reason (in case if he/she wants to see the status), there could be 15 issues in a sprint and relatively hard to remember.

In any case hoping to see a workable action from Atlassian.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events