Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use KanBan in a Business Project ?

ioannis April 4, 2016

Hi all !!

Our Marketing Dept. would love to start using the KanBan visualization for their tasks. 

So far they were using tools like Trello etc. where they had to keep it updated with the related JIRA issues. 

I already tried to create a KanBan board for their projects and everything created normally. 

But are there any hints/tips when using a KanBan board for a business project ?

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Mary Jackson August 12, 2016

We have JIRA Software.  We also have some ticket queues that shouldn't be run as software projects.  I'd like to use Kanban with these – I like the explicit action of releasing the Done cards when I want, and being able to view a virtual release.  Once we get release automation tools integrated, I don't want business project tasks to take that path.  Sure would be nice...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2016

Yes, Kanban is good for business projects, pretty much off the shelf. 

There are two things I think you need to consider:

1. The use of the "release" option that clears out your "done" column - your business users need to understand how that works (it sets a version on the issues, then releases the version.  The board sub-filter defaults to "don't show released versions", so releasing the version effectively clears the "done" column)
  2. Kanban boards are Software functions, so your business users will need to have JIRA Software access to be able to use them

However, if you're on JIRA Cloud, you also have boards that aren't Kanban if you enable the "labs" - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/working-with-boards-800712866.html - this feature is in flux (that's what the labs are for - a test bed) and may not make it into the main product.  A lot of the labs experiments do not make it far.   However, given the noise about boards being needed in JIRA Core, I think it's a safe bet that something along those lines will be promoted

ioannis April 5, 2016

Hey there Nic, 

Thank you so much for your instant response. 

Following your answer : 

1.  Is it obligated for our users (members from the Mkt dept) to use the release option ? Which are the advantages of that ? I am curious because I was thinking that it might not be obligatory for them to use it ..
  2. Reg. the JIRA software access consider that everyone in the company use JIRA (server) which means that the access is not something to worry about. In any case if you mean something else e.g. a specific access to JIRA's software projects let me know, because there might be a possibility for the MKT team to have rights only for Business Projects . 

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2016
  1. Nope, they can be easily educated to ignore the column.  But it will get bigger and you'll need some way of keeping on top of it.
  2. Core, Software and Service desk can be licenced separately, so it is entirely possible that your MKT team only have access to the Core/business stuff.  If that is the case, you'll want to think carefully before paying for more Software licences just so they can do Kanban.  But... a lot of people do just get JIRA Software without thinking about it, so you may already have it all.  Simple test - ask a business user to create a new board and see if they are offered Scruum or Kanban
Daniel December 6, 2017

Has the Jira Core boards feature been released for non JIRA Cloud users? I can't find that info anywhere.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events