Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempt to delete empty sprint returns error: This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status.

Don January 23, 2014

When I attempt to delete an empty sprint, that has not been started yet, get error: This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status. Sprint has not been started, is on the Agile planning board, and is currently empty with no issues in it. I want to delete the empty Sprint from the Agile Planning board. When I attempt to delete the empty sprint get error: This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status.

7 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

18 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Brown March 20, 2014

Wanted to point you towards this article.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/224548/how-do-i-delete-a-sprint-in-greenhopper

The sprint appears empty because issues that appear within the Agile boards green ("Closed") column do not appear in the planning phase.

When tickets are "closed" they cannot be updated, which is why the error is occurring when attempting to delete a seemingly empty Sprint.

If you do a JQL issue search "project = *ProjectName* AND sprint = *SprintToBeDeleted*" you'll see a list of the currently closed tickets that are associated with that sprint.

You would either need to re-open these tickets, or change your workflow temporarily to allow the editing of tickets in the closed status.

Mobile Labs November 5, 2019

Absolutely stupid. Should be possible to close a sprint by force.

Like Thomas Rohrer likes this
Tracy B November 6, 2019

I've got a sprint that has nothing in it (per project = *ProjectName* AND sprint = *SprintToBeDeleted*) and I still can't delete it! 

0 votes
Gina Chaves April 23, 2018

I've got a different workaround that i use that doesn't require having to open all the closed tickets in that sprint.

Create a fake 'test' Jira ticket

Assign it to the sprint

Start the Sprint (start date today, end date tomorrow)

Move the test ticket from To Do/Open to Done

Close the sprint - this officially removes the sprint from your Agile board

This takes all of 30 seconds to do.

Ka Getto January 11, 2019

So instead of deleting a sprint you now have a fake ticket associated with a sprint you don't want? This is the worst workaround I can think of.

The worthless sprint will continue to show in all of the reports

0 votes
Desiree March 22, 2016

+1 Same issue.  Great answer.  Thanks for the help!

Martin Gregory July 10, 2016

You should upvote the question, not provide a bogus answer.

0 votes
Deleted user July 8, 2015

+1 same issue, good anwer

0 votes
Till Kuhn July 7, 2015

+1 same issue, clear answer, problem solved

0 votes
Alexandre S_ October 6, 2014

+1 same issue, good anwer

0 votes
Jayson Ambrose March 13, 2014

+1 Same issue

Martin Gregory July 10, 2016

You should upvote the question, not provide a bogus answer.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events