It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What is Scrum? A good, bad, and ugly answer. Edited

Max Rehkopf Atlassian Team Jan 15, 2019

In a world of dark-scrum, faux-scrum, and scrum-butt, the question still remains: What is scrum and how do you do it “right?” That’s the question we set out to answer.

I'm Max, I've been teaching companies large and small about agile and lean for the last 3 years. Since most scrum implementation differs from the official Scrum Guide, I started looking for Atlassian teams that emulate the scrum values and asked them to share their process. I recently released a series of videos teaching the Scrum basics, rooted in how we do scrum at Atlassian.

The good: Scrum is built on solid principles that help teams to do right by their customers and build a culture of continuous improvement

The bad: Scrum also has strict rules that many seem to follow blindly. These rules lead some teams to adopt a system that may not work best for their environment.

The ugly: Scrum has a lot of baggage and this legacy complicates things. 

Hopefully our video series shines a light for teams hoping to navigating the complex world of scrum. Let us know how we did: 

If you take a linking to the content, make sure to check out the Agile Corner where you can find and interactive contest open to all. Enjoy!

So, what is scrum to you, the good, the bad and the ugly?

Tweet: The good, the bad and the ugly: What is scrum to you? https://ctt.ac/bdN8c+ #YourAgileCoach

11 comments

Super clever tweet function, @Max Rehkopf!

Like # people like this

What is scrum, scrum!
baby just iterate, just iterate ohhh ya...

Like # people like this

What is scrum, this question is not for 1 line answer.

Like # people like this

It is a way of iterating through your development in a way that allows for control, by breaking the iterations into small pieces. Once a scrum cycle generally a week or two is over the team meets and picks out other parts of the development needs that need to be accomplished, then rinse and repeat until all of your project deliverables are complete.

Like # people like this

Support my account

Good video. Solid foundation for discussing Scrum

Like Yvonne Pace likes this

Very helpful... am going to have to finish the series as I hope to learn a lot from it. thank you

Scrum est une méthode agile 

Like # people like this

Scrum is one of the best practice chosen from Agile methodology.

A good insightful read thankyou

Thanks for this post @Max Rehkopf . Also following the awesome youtube streams by Megan Cook. 

I like that she points out that Agile is a set of values and principles(culture), whereas Scrum is a framework for getting it done: and that you can use the framework for the agile approach.

Comment

Community showcase
Published in Agile

Webinar: Dean Leffingwell and Steve Elliot present on SAFe 5.0, come ask Dean and Steve questions!

...steemed Steve Elliot (head of product for Jira Align). Agenda: What’s new or changed in SAFe 5.0: Introduction of OKRs Essential SAFe How to achieve true business a...

218 views 0 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you