What is Scrum? A good, bad, and ugly answer.

Max Rehkopf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2019

In a world of dark-scrum, faux-scrum, and scrum-butt, the question still remains: What is scrum and how do you do it “right?” That’s the question we set out to answer.

I'm Max, I've been teaching companies large and small about agile and lean for the last 3 years. Since most scrum implementation differs from the official Scrum Guide, I started looking for Atlassian teams that emulate the scrum values and asked them to share their process. I recently released a series of videos teaching the Scrum basics, rooted in how we do scrum at Atlassian.

The good: Scrum is built on solid principles that help teams to do right by their customers and build a culture of continuous improvement

The bad: Scrum also has strict rules that many seem to follow blindly. These rules lead some teams to adopt a system that may not work best for their environment.

The ugly: Scrum has a lot of baggage and this legacy complicates things. 

Hopefully our video series shines a light for teams hoping to navigating the complex world of scrum. Let us know how we did: 

If you take a linking to the content, make sure to check out the Agile Corner where you can find and interactive contest open to all. Enjoy!

So, what is scrum to you, the good, the bad and the ugly?

Tweet: The good, the bad and the ugly: What is scrum to you? https://ctt.ac/bdN8c+ #YourAgileCoach

14 comments

Comment

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2019

Super clever tweet function, @Max Rehkopf!

Like # people like this
David Morgantini February 28, 2019

What is scrum, scrum!
baby just iterate, just iterate ohhh ya...

Like # people like this
dilipkumar23bytes March 19, 2019

What is scrum, this question is not for 1 line answer.

Like # people like this
Victoria FREDERICKSON March 28, 2019

It is a way of iterating through your development in a way that allows for control, by breaking the iterations into small pieces. Once a scrum cycle generally a week or two is over the team meets and picks out other parts of the development needs that need to be accomplished, then rinse and repeat until all of your project deliverables are complete.

Like # people like this
Kamatchi Jaya Nagendra Pillai March 20, 2019

What is Scrum?

Ye Man April 19, 2019

Support my account

david.partridge@cleargage.com April 24, 2019

Good video. Solid foundation for discussing Scrum

Like Yvonne Pace likes this
Favour George June 1, 2019

Very helpful... am going to have to finish the series as I hope to learn a lot from it. thank you

chakroun fatma June 2, 2019

Scrum est une méthode agile 

Like # people like this
Ishwar Goudar June 3, 2019

Scrum is one of the best practice chosen from Agile methodology.

Dan August 22, 2019

A good insightful read thankyou

Kanyi August 27, 2019

Thanks for this post @Max Rehkopf . Also following the awesome youtube streams by Megan Cook. 

Kanyi August 27, 2019

I like that she points out that Agile is a set of values and principles(culture), whereas Scrum is a framework for getting it done: and that you can use the framework for the agile approach.

jm.tablico October 17, 2019

Nice read. Very insightful.

Chris Green October 18, 2019

So many organizations think they are doing scrum/agile but have no idea! 

Marilo Meta May 18, 2020

Great point of discussion, the good, bad and ugly view of scrum :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events