What advice would you give to help a new teammate develop their agile mindset?

Hey there, Atlassian University learner!  đź‘‹

Welcome to your final written activity in Community.

As you’ve learned in this course, having an agile mindset helps you be a more efficient, flexible, and high-performing team member. Now it’s time for you to help your teammates build an agile mindset.

Here's the question for you to answer:

community-agile.png

Question: What advice would you give to help a new teammate develop their agile mindset?

Once you've posted your comment below, return to your Atlassian University browser tab to complete the course.

Note: this article is a prompt within an Atlassian University course, The Beginner’s Guide to Agile in Jira. In this activity, learners have the opportunity to provide their advice and suggestions on Community. Even if you haven’t taken the course, you’re still welcome to respond to this post and give your advice.

93 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

My advice: Read and understand the "Agile manifesto". Decode the values and principles by relating to a project problem statement.

Like • # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2022

One idea is: consider accepting that "there are no best practices; only better ones."

I find this simple idea helps clarify uncertainty is a normal part of delivery, experiments facilitate learning and improving, open-mindedness of others' views leads to better understanding/collaboration/opportunities, and realizing there is no one-size-fits-all methodology/framework/tool/etc. to solve all challenges.

Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2022

My advice would be to focus on the first agile principle, "Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software." and try to understand why early and continuous delivery of value is so important, and how to start doing that.

Ciarah Santos June 12, 2022

Keep practicing the four values of agile for the continuous improvement and challenge yourself to zoom out and focus on the big picture goal.

Rayyan Momin June 24, 2022

Communicate as soon as possible to avoid delays 

Ganesh Sharma June 25, 2022

Keep practicing the four values of agile for the continuous improvement; Communicate; understand why early and continuous delivery of value is so important. Use documented files when you get stuck in between a process.

Brian Gray June 25, 2022

Retros can help build team culture and improve efficiencies if feedback is constructive

Adedeji Oyedele June 26, 2022

An understanding of the Agile manifesto is critical to building an Agile Mindset, continuous practice, will build the culture. I'd also borrow from my experience to say, it's more important to be Agile than to be stuck in any framework (Lean, Scrum etc.). Being agile requires flexibility and adaptability.

Odel Thelwell June 27, 2022

My advice is to do your research. Doing that first step to expand your knowledge will get you very far.

Nikki DuBois June 27, 2022

My advice:

1. Allow yourself and your team to fail forward and continue to learn + improve.
  2. Understand the Agile Manifesto, Values and Principles.
  3. Understand that Agile is not Scrum and Scrum is not Agile.
  4. Using tools do not make you Agile.
  5. Keep value in mind when talking through solutions.
Rommel Santizo June 27, 2022

My advice:  keep in mind the top priority, to focus on get done the WIP.

Garima joshi June 28, 2022

My advice is to read all agile manifesto and its rules to develop the agile mindset to develop and enhance the future ideas of your teammates so that every team member has the rights to share its ideas .

Like • Leena Dhankarghare likes this
Leena Dhankarghare June 29, 2022

My advice would be first to get acquainted with agile manifesto- values and principles. Try to think and implement them in your current work. Do your research and bring innovative solutions, communicate them well with your team members and take feedback. Respecting your team members is crucial. Agile mindset will certainly develop with some practice.

Mahesh Patil June 30, 2022

My advice to new learner is 
* Go through basics of Agile manifesto
* Have respect to the opinions of others
* Get our research done about your work an complete it , ask questions with open mind
* Have innovative thinking mind to maximize throughput to end user
* Improve your skill set or upgrade them from time to time
*  Be flexible in your work

Dona June 30, 2022

My advice to new learners is:

- First understand the Agile manifesto

- Then observe how the team works then gradually you will get the Agile mindset.

Like • Mahesh Patil likes this
lira.adria June 30, 2022

My advice would be to understand and practice daily the values and principles of agile. Observe how your team and other teams practice this and take best practices and incorporate others best practices.

Marion Mundara June 30, 2022

I would advice my new team member to be an active participant so as to be able to catch up on the latest developments as well as participate in all scrum events and also use Jira on a daily basis to develop a good habit.

Like • Ana Vlahovic likes this
Sudhir Kesharwani July 1, 2022

I would advice my new team member to take each day as a fresh start,  everyday you could do different wonderful things.  Never judge any thought yourself,  be open and feel free to communicate.  There are no bad questions.  Move ahead as a team,  feel an important part of the team.  

Like • Rupa Jain likes this
Jakub Karaszewski July 2, 2022
  • First advice: people in the first place - communicate, listen and respect, remember about roles.
  • Second advice: your work needs to be better every day - create, develop, then improve, innovate and for sake - update!
  • Third advice: keep up with your team and remember who's your real boss - customer, give 'em some value.
  • Fourth advice: read the manifesto and be ready for change. Be happy like prepper when they first need to use their backpacks full of prepared items!
ChristosG July 4, 2022

My advice is to keep an open mind, keep learning and accepting new ideas while trying to put all new things under the kanban/scrum framework's key principles and directives

Cathy Harrison July 5, 2022

Team members are most resistant to the daily standups but once they see how efficient and effective they are, they change their minds.  It is wonderful to identify and eliminate roadblocks quickly!

Like • Andrew DeBell likes this
Rupa Jain July 5, 2022

My Advice to New team member  : Make him well versed with Agile Concept and benefit over traditional approach.

Make him familiar with agile framework, tools so that he/she can feel the ease of working on the agile concept.

Need to make the stand up meeting in-formal and joyful to avoid resistance from team members.

Sumit Dhamija July 6, 2022

A good way to get started is to understand the 4 core values of Agile and it's 12 principles. Then reflect how these values and principles apply to your project. Also remember, transparent communication is heart of Agile.

emily July 6, 2022

In addition to an agile mindset, new teammates may need tools that support learning and maintaining agile habits.  Spinach.io helps teams of all sizes run a fast, efficient standup that stays focused on sprint goals. Tools can really help build healthy team habits! 

Like • Andrew DeBell likes this
Jimmy Lee July 6, 2022

Keep the Four Values Of Agile in mind in your daily activities and see how they apply. Agile is a mindset. It takes practice and some getting used to, but once you start seeing its benefits, you're well on your way to taking complex tasks and breaking them down simply and efficiently. 

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events