Showing the values of user picker fields

A problem with the user and multi-user picker fields, is that when you edit an issue you cannot see the display names of the selected users (JRASERVER-31023).

This is a problem for organisations that use machine-generated or otherwise obscure user names… common in large companies. When this is the case the user field will show something like "n1234567":

before

This simple javascript plugin shows the display name underneath the field (in edit mode only).

after

If you are a SR4J user you could plug the javascript into a script fragment, and modify it.

If not you can grab a standalone plugin from here.

Full source is in this repo.

12 comments

Lingesh BN December 22, 2017

Hello,

I added the plugin both in confluence and jira, but its still not displaying the full name.

Please help here.

regards

Lingesh

Jamie Echlin _ScriptRunner - The Adaptavist Group_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 22, 2017

It's not a confluence plugin. What jira version? Try doing a hard refresh.

Lingesh BN December 22, 2017

Jira version is 6.4.12

regards

Lingesh

Lingesh BN December 25, 2017

Hi Jamie,

Hard refresh done, but still i dont see the full name in confluence.

regards

Lingesh

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 2, 2018

Hi Lingesh,

As I said, it's not a confluence plugin.

cheers, jamie

Manuel April 13, 2018

Hi

Is it possible to translate it into german?

Best Regards

Manuel

Marketplace Partner
April 13, 2018

Currently it does not support i18n, but you could just modify the strings in the javascript and rebuild it.

Mark Girgis January 31, 2019

Wow, this is great! Works fine. Thanks Jamie!

Andreas Hellwig August 27, 2020

Thank you very much!

Marketplace Partner
August 27, 2020

No worries, but this is a proper user picker in jira 8.12, should probably upgrade to that if you can.

Devendra Patidar September 30, 2020

Hi Jamie,

I found one rare bug in the user picker hepler plugin.I am using Jira 7.13.9.

Steps to reproduce - 

I am searching in user picker field with username patidard and getting 2 records in search result.

patidard is username of user XYZ.

Second user in search result is ABC patidard whose last name patidard is same as username of first user XYZ.

When I select user XYZ, it displays user ABC below user picker helper field.

It is really a rare scenirio. I thought to inform you regarding this bug.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Devendra

Marketplace Partner
October 7, 2020

Hi Devendra - 

OK, thanks for the report. But as mentioned in the comment above this works properly natively in 8.12, so best thing to do is remove this customisation and upgrade to 8.12.

cheers, jamie

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events