Micky Caritte's journey to be a Certified Atlassian Champion

Showcase.png
This week is the first week we’re showcasing an Atlassian Champion. Say hello to Micky Caritte!

Micky is a French expat living in Montreal and has 5+ years of experience with Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket. Discover more about his journey over the Atlantic Ocean and to become a certified Atlassian Champion in the Showcase interview below. 

Reminder: As always, if you have a Showcase worthy story or would like to nominate a friend/colleague to be featured, please shoot me a note to bsauer@atlassian.com. 

Bridget (B): How did you first become an Atlassian Champion? What do you like most about the program?

Micky (M): I knew the community before its new version but particularly liked the new update, found some answers here and there and when I had a talk with my colleagues about Community, one of them mentioned the Champions program which he heard of some days before. I've been curious and found the recognition interesting. I like to feel useful, as a Consultant I've seen many contexts and I felt like I could play my part here. I've started posting more and more right after getting my certification and after a few weeks, I've been on-boarded :) What I like most so far is the fact that, as a Champion, I have a direct line with other experts and can learn from their experience. The direct contact with Atlassian is also very interesting for very specific topics. I do feel we share a common passion and a common knowledge and its valuable to share it with us and with other Community users. The Champion status is also a "proof" that my answers might be valuable.

B: Tell us about your role and why Atlassian products work well for the banking/insurance industry 

M: Since I graduated, I've always been working on Atlassian products (first as a long-term intern and then as a Consultant). Most of the time the missions are the same: help and coach customers in their daily usage of Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket... or even set it up for them. My current position is Senior Consultant for Atlassian products at National Bank of Canada, which is exactly an adviser/admin role. They needed my support to gather requirements and deploy a corporate implementation of SAFe.

My first contract was with a French Bank (Crédit Agricole), where I was surprised to discover that many banks in France were using Jira (it was early 2011) for a lot of different purposes. Most of the time the power of the workflow engine combined with Service Desk or simple issue forms can solve a lot of administrative tasks usually handled in Excel. The funniest banking project (and maybe the most critical one) I've had was to track the ATM migration for a bank (national scale) using automatically created tasks based on ATM specifications loaded from external DB. More than 200 people worked on that project filling in tasks in Jira from mobile command centers!

B: Congrats on passing the ACP100! Describe the road to getting certified, and how it has impacted your career

M: Certification as always been an interesting thing, especially in the Banking industry. Also, as a Consultant, it's important to prove that your knowledge is valuable and recognized based on standards. ACP exams are known to be tough and provide a real value to my CV. I used to work for a Platinum Partner (Valiantys) and that was enough recognition at the moment but as an independent Consultant I wanted to prove my efficiency and certification was one of the means I've found (recently published a plugin as well, Community Champion status...).
To get there, I've asked around how it was, I've read about it (hey Rachel), I also got a fresh Cloud instance (my recent contracts were mostly on Server) and read the documentation again and again. That's definitely hard to foresee what will be in the test but it's also very experience-based so I made it, yeehee!
(If you are interested in becoming an Atlassian Certified Professional, read more here. 

B: What brought you from France -> Montreal? What's the biggest difference? 

M: You know that already: I'm French. I've been lucky and traveled quite a lot as a child, loved the experience abroad and always been curious about other cultures. Recent French "mindset" also disappointed me and I did not feel like I belonged there anymore. I then tried and found an opportunity abroad, no real target at the beginning. Valiantys (which I worked with during my work and study program) offered me to be their second Consultant in Montreal as we knew each other and they were looking for French expats! That's how I moved from France to Canada, 4 years ago and I have no regrets. The culture here is far closer to my beliefs and goals, people are kind and welcoming. Montreal is a melting pot built on top of so many different communities and the labor market is very attractive and dynamic ("It's America, everything is possible there." as would say, my father).

B: What do you do for fun?

M: Apart from the Atlassian Ecosystem, I do have a personal life which I spend traveling as much as possible to meet new people and find new answers to questions I would not even think about before traveling :) I'm a diver, which is great combined with a globe-trotter. For years I've flown my plane simulator at home too, was a passion I dropped recently as I'm lacking time to fully dedicate on this. I also play some video games when my friends are up to, not a real gamer but hey, beers, controllers, and chips are basic ingredients for a good party.

Thanks, Micky for the incredible Showcase! We can’t wait to read your upcoming article about your experience working in the Banking/Insurance industry using Atlassian products for the 4-5 huge companies you’ve worked with so far ;). 

Are you interested more in the Atlassian Champion Program? Learn more about becoming an Atlassian Champion or email championprogram@atlassian.com for more info. 

23 comments

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Micky, I LOVE this! So great getting to learn more about you as a human. 😎 We're lucky to have you!

Like # people like this
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Thanks @Erica Moss, glad to be a champion and to share more with you all!

Can't wait to meet you (and the team) in person, might be during the Team Tour or at next summit :)

LeKisha Boswell April 20, 2018

Congrats on becoming an ACP! This was an awesome read and very inspiring!

Sonny Watson May 24, 2018

Congrats. Great read!

Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2018

Very interesting to see how certification has helped his career and how attainable it is. I have some new goals to set!

Merci!

Like Alison likes this
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2018

@Marianne Miller ACPs are definitely a great asset in the Atlassian world! They're challenging enough to have value and attainable enough to try them out!

Feel free to check/publish in the Training & Certification collection here if you have any question or want feedback! Even better, if you take the exams, share your experience!

Cheers

Dee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2018

Fascinating use case for JIRA! ATM management. Also interesting to see tickets being updated in the field. A real JIRA mobile use case there.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2018

Great sharing

Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
June 22, 2018

#EveryDayStruggle

Marynel June 28, 2018

Hi @miikhySorry I missed you in the Atlassian Team at BNC which I just joined this week. I hope you are loving your new challenges. Regards

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018

Hola @Marynel, glad to have you on Community!

That's a shame I've missed your energy in the team too, I wish I could have experienced it at least a few weeks!

Anyway, have fun and take care of the team along with Denis, Atlassian is important :D

Bryan Bai October 5, 2018

@miikhy good job Micky! I cannot remember you mentioned ... you are a diver too!

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2018

@BRy JIRA good to know, even too late :) Hope everything is working great for you in the Silicon Valley :) Cheers

innnzzz6 January 23, 2019

Thanks, Micky for the incredible Showcase! We can’t wait to read your upcoming article about your experience working in the Banking/Insurance industry using Atlassian products for the 4-5 huge companies you’ve worked with so far ;). 

Like miikhy likes this
Niyas Mattara March 12, 2019

Belated Congratulations...!!

Like miikhy likes this
Veronique DUFOUR March 22, 2019

It's good to know that it's possible to be an Atlassian Champion. Congratulations!

Like miikhy likes this
Serghei Tulei June 19, 2019

Congratulations!!!

Like miikhy likes this
Thais Vasconcelos August 23, 2019

I am new here and It's always inspiring read stories like this

Like Erica Moss likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2019

@Thais Vasconcelos Welcome, welcome! We're glad you're here.

Kanyi August 27, 2019

Congrats Micky!!

Yasser Abdallah
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2019

Congrats Micky, Great read!

Seon Shakespeare
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2020

Congrats! Great read

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events