It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

is it best practice to assign a story to an epic when using Portfolio

in building a portfolio plan many of my stories are assigned to epics, but some are not.  is it a best practice to assign all stories to epics for effective scheduling in JIRA Portfolio?

2 answers

Hi Ian! How are you doing?

I don't believe that creating Epics for every Story is a best practice.

It will pollute your Jira and your Portfolio Plans and Programs.

Hope this helps!

Cristiano

I hear what you’re saying, thank you 😊 

Hi,

We have found that if you don't make every story part of an epic people have got confused when using the Epic / Story filter in Portfolio. In the case where there are stories that are not part of Epics selecting the Epic filter gives a smaller result then when selecting Stories are as less is included. For now we are making every Story part of an Epic for this reason..... we tend to have a "Long Range" epic for this. We also do not enforce this rule on releases in the medium to long term.

I share the concerns raised about the proliferation of Epics.

Nick

Thank you for your thoughts.  Your answer echoes my challenges.  Not every story needs to be part of an epic (else you subvert what an epic really is) and if I wasn’t using Jira Portfolio, I wouldn’t even think about it.  As I am being asked to employ Portfolio for planning purposes, I can see that the timeline getting cluttered with both epics and stories?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

3,247 views 18 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you