Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it best practice to assign a story to an epic when using Portfolio

Ian Rutgers June 13, 2018

in building a portfolio plan many of my stories are assigned to epics, but some are not.  is it a best practice to assign all stories to epics for effective scheduling in JIRA Portfolio?

2 answers

0 votes
Nicolas Rimmer June 18, 2018

Hi,

We have found that if you don't make every story part of an epic people have got confused when using the Epic / Story filter in Portfolio. In the case where there are stories that are not part of Epics selecting the Epic filter gives a smaller result then when selecting Stories are as less is included. For now we are making every Story part of an Epic for this reason..... we tend to have a "Long Range" epic for this. We also do not enforce this rule on releases in the medium to long term.

I share the concerns raised about the proliferation of Epics.

Nick

Ian Rutgers June 19, 2018

Thank you for your thoughts.  Your answer echoes my challenges.  Not every story needs to be part of an epic (else you subvert what an epic really is) and if I wasn’t using Jira Portfolio, I wouldn’t even think about it.  As I am being asked to employ Portfolio for planning purposes, I can see that the timeline getting cluttered with both epics and stories?

0 votes
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2018

Hi Ian! How are you doing?

I don't believe that creating Epics for every Story is a best practice.

It will pollute your Jira and your Portfolio Plans and Programs.

Hope this helps!

Cristiano

Ian Rutgers June 15, 2018

I hear what you’re saying, thank you 😊 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events