Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versioning & releases

Another agile delivery person October 1, 2019

Hi,

New to the community & fairly new to Jira, so be gentle! Could someone let me know what the best practises are around versioning of the Jira artefacts please.

My intention is to use Jira portfolio in order to provide visibility of the various teams work we have ongoing. For this, I understand that I have to use the FixVersion field.

What is the best practise here? We have a fairly standard portfolio heirarchy of Themes, initiative, Epics, stories, subtasks etc.

Should say Themes have FixVersions, and should these be all the Fixversion of the various Epics, Epics just contain one FixVersion and all its children stories have the same FixVersion of the Epic?

Sorry, bit of a ramble, but wondering if there is a best practise here, or perhaps there are some guidelines somewhere?

1 answer

0 votes
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2019

Hello @Another agile delivery person 

At first wellcom to community and wellcom to Jira. you have very good idea nad this way is best and what you say about portfolio exactly correct. 

Another agile delivery person October 2, 2019

Ok, but still not sure here

We have a number of Epics that each refer to subcomponents of the overall product release.

I have versioned all the Epics with the same version number let just say is called product_release_1.0

The stories under each of the Epic are versioned by their sub component name, so lets say we have three epics each have three stories under them

Epic1 -> versioned (product_release_1.0)

Story1 - > versioned (sub_component_1

Story2- > versioned (sub_component_1

Story3- > versioned (sub_component_1

Epic2 -> versioned (product_release_1.0)

Story1- > versioned (sub_component_2

Story2- > versioned (sub_component_2

Story3- > versioned (sub_component_2

Epic3 - > versioned (product_release_1.0)

Story1- > versioned (sub_component_3

Story2- > versioned (sub_component_3

Story3- > versioned (sub_component_3

I then use portfolio in order to track the progress on the subcomponent development and the overall product release.

Does this sound like a sensible approach, you could of course say look at portfolio and see if it looks sensible, unfortunately the way the team have been working i.e. unpointed story points, stories being bumped over many iterations, lack of dependencies, no version labels, have all made portfolio look a bit of a mess.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events