Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Portfolio with many versions / releases

Wessel Donkervoort October 27, 2017

Currently I am working within a JIRA instance that has many projects with many versions (think of a lot of minor versions like "1.0.1", "1.0.2", "1.1.0", "1.1.1" etc). This is resulting in a Portfolio timeline filled with circles of release start and end dates.

Any advise that somebody can give me to deal with this?

1 answer

0 votes
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2017

Hi Wessel! How are you doing?

Are all of these versions related to projects, that really need a plan, or some of them are small fixes that your team does in a few hours?

I would leave in Portfolio only the releases that are related to projects and would remove from the plan the other ones.

Hope this helps!

Cristiano

Wessel Donkervoort November 24, 2017

That actually helps a lot.

It also becomes clear to me that Portfolio for Jira isn't a tool that can magically create timelines from tickets that have no planning whatsoever.

That being said:

How would you use Portfolio in an environment where no versions are used at all. One of my clients is doing so many releases that creating versions is not doable.

As you progress in time stories become more vague without estimations. That part is clear: but what about Epics and Initiatives? Looking at Teams In Space they all look nice in the time-line.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events