Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Some Epics from Jira Project not visible in Plans

I've set up an a plan using a filter, and one of 3 Epics are not appearing.

I've tried the filter with this:

parentEpic in (BIZ-39, BIZ-1 BIZ-26) order by created DESC

and this:

parentEpic in (BIZ-39, BIZ-26) or parentEpic = "BIZ-1" order by created DESC

But BIZ-1 Epic and child tickets do not appear in Plan, while the other 2 appear fine.

The Filter itself returns the correct result set.

Anyone know what is going on?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Martin Rait

Your first JQL is missing a comma after BIZ-1, but as you mentioned when you look at the filter itself it returns the correct set of issues, so I'm assuming that might just be a transcription error here? If so, it's likely that your BIZ-1 Epic is being captured by some sort of exclusion rule.

By default, a newly created plan will exclude issues that have been in the "Done" status for more than 30 days, so if your BIZ-1 Epic was moved to Done more than a month ago that could be why it's not showing up.

Otherwise, you can check any other exclusion rules by clicking the three dot menu next to your plan name, selecting "Configure"  and then "Exclusion Rules". Comparing the rules configured here to your BIZ-1 Epic may reveal why it's being excluded.

Hopefully this helps resolve the issues you're having, but let me know if you're still having trouble and we can certainly dig into this a little deeper!

Cheers,

Daniel

missing comma is a typo for mine typing here.

The 30 day thing is annoying and appears to be what is going on - do many different areas to configure things. Resolved that and found it hiding releases as well.

We needed this to be a full client facing plan - so all work done needed to be present.

Thanks

Like Daniel Capizzi likes this

No problem Martin - I'm glad that resolved the issue for you.

I can definitely understand that Advanced Roadmaps can be a bit of a beast to get familiar with! We're always trying to improve so I'll pass your feedback on to the team, and do always feel free to reach out here for any further questions you have or at Atlassian Support for more in-depth support.

1 vote

@Martin Rait -

Hi Martin:

I am glad that you found the issue.  So you just need to ensure you configure the "Exclusion Rule" to fit your needs. 

As also mentioned in my previous answer, the "Exclusion Rule" often is the problem because it is always defaults to 30 days setting when a plan is created.

Lastly, you should also adjusted it so your plan only display most relevant issues instead of everything.  It is because there can be performance impacts + too many issues are being displayed to allow your users to focus on.

If my advise also helped you.  Please click on Accept Answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

1 vote

@Martin Rait -

Welcome to the community.  When you referring "Filter" are you referring to the issue source from the plan's configuration UI?

If not, then you need to check your issue source setup and ensure the source contains those missing EPICs.  

If yes, then you need to check the "Exclusion Rules" area in the plan's configuration UI to determine if there are any rule setup which excluded your missing Epics.  Lastly, you should also check the "Removed Issues" area in the plan's configuration to see if those issues are displayed, if you sees them there, you can click on "Re-include" button to bring those issues back into your plan.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

299 views 0 9
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you