It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Skipping hierarchy with Initiatives/ Portfolio

Hi Atlassian Team,

while checking out Portfolio I have a question about grouping issues/ big picture with initiatives:

1. We allowed the ticket type "initiative".
  2. Sometimes I want to assign STORIES, which are not part of an EPIC, to INITIATIVES anyway.
  3. By doing this I attempt to break the hierarchy Initiative > Epic > Story.
  4. It seems to be impossible.
  5. But sometimes it makes, if it is a rather small thing that does not justify an epic.
  6. Or do I have to use a dummy wrapper epic in this case?

Side question on setting up Initiatives:

1. I found the tip online to create a dummy project for initiatives only so that this managementy level of info does not interfere inside my actual project.
  2. (Also how you set up Jira + Portfolio for multi-project usage?!)
  3. When I tried to add the main project and the dummy project to Jira Portfolio, I got an error message that initiatives as a type are in no selected project.
  4. Error only went away when I allow Initiatives in the main project directly.
  5. But then, initiatives can be selected as ticket type and initiatives appear as backlog items in main project – undesirable.

I would love to get some guidance here.

Thx
Jam

1 answer

Hi Jam,

as far as I know, it is not possible to break the Initative > Epic > Story hierarchie.

Regarding your second question:

There are two ways:

1. Add several projects/boards from JIRA to a plan in Portfolio.

2. Use only one project per Portfolio plan and create a program for an overview: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/programs-931037964.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/creating-and-deleting-programs-931037970.html

Regards,

Phil

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

3,288 views 19 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you