Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about how Jira Advanced Roadmaps estimates start and end dates

aw February 10, 2022

Hello! I am using Jira Advanced Roadmaps and have run into an issue. Before I jump into a description of the problem, let me lay out my project settings:

• Using Jira Advanced Roadmaps
  • Jira v8.20.1
  • Roadmaps pulls in tickets from a filter. The filter curates a collection of ~30 epics.
  • Team settings: Kanban, 12 people, 240 hours per iteration. All epics in this plan are assigned to this team. 
  • Hierarchy: Epic to Epic
  • Each epic has an "Estimates (d)" field filled out. My understanding is that this estimate is in days. 

Each epic has an empty "Start date" and "End date" field. My goal is to have the auto scheduler populate these fields according to dependencies, team capacity, and estimations. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 4.40.31 PM.png

This is a test run of the scheduler. I expect the amount of time assigned to a task (circled in blue) to exactly match the estimate in days (circled in blue). What do I need to do to achieve this?

Thanks for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jihadul Islam February 11, 2022
  1. Team capacity- hours per week divided into all tasks at hand divided by members in Team/ per assignee
  2. Estimates- Takes days into hours and divides by team capacity- Calculates 8hr(or as set) workdays plus weekends and puts on roadmap as Calender days total time
    1. IF team(one member) capacity per week = 20 hours, estimate 3days=24 hours -> 1 week(20hrs) 1 day plus 2days weekend = schedule 8 calendar days on roadmap 
      1. Or if the team is selected as sprint based then it will schedule 2 sprints(2weeks for weekly sprints) so 14 Cdays on roadmap added
  3. Minus Time logged
aw February 11, 2022

Thanks for your detailed response! The information you provided is immensely helpful. I have a few follow up questions. 

1. For step 1, is the order of operations: ((Hours per week / num tasks) / members in team)? I must be misunderstanding because this equation means each member is working a little bit on each task. 
  2. Is this information you've ascertained by using Roadmaps? Or is this documented anywhere?
Jihadul Islam February 14, 2022

1. Yes, so if have 20 hors in the team setting and two members means it will divide 20 hours between two members- hence schedule more days on the plan

2. by using and trail/error :D had to come up with the formula for management :)

aw February 14, 2022

Thank you! And kudos to you for reversing the formula. I admire your perseverance.

And for posterity: I ended up switching to Omniplan 3. Omniplan directly uses inputted time estimates as scheduled time for task. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events