I have done a lot of reserach on this tool and my experience with PoJ is not good at all.
(Its rather frustrating)
The calculations of the "schedule" are based on the "remaining" not "original" estimates. I have done my release plan, before the sprint-1 was kicked-off. My method of estimation is "effort days" (not story points). (Sprint 2 duration is 3 weeks). At the end of 2nd week, I have got more epics and stories to add in the scope. Also the two weeks have gone and the actual efforts have been burned-down by the team. That has reduced the "remaining estimates" on the "In progress epics" and stories. Then I have added scope in the portfolio, and pressed the calculate button. It is realized that the new calculations (schedules, sprints, capacity, duration) is based on the "remaining" estimates. And the "planned capacity, free capacity" on the sprints started showing me the wrong results. According to me , this a bug in the portfolio calculation, it should only consider the "original estimates" for all calculations.
Before I have kicked-of fthe release and the first "sprint" the original estimates and the "remaining estimates" were same. While I was doing the "release planning" , we have not put estimates on the stories rather put them on the "epics" as ball-park hig level estimates and created the first plan. The reason was stories were not refined. I have created the first road-map and Portfolio has shown me couple of epics in the sprint-1. Then our team has done the refinement and have put the estimates in the stories. (entered value in the original field, but Jira automatically made same values as remaining".
After the refinement, I have again pressed the "calculate" button and looked in the different reports. To my surprise the results are more frustrating. I saw the tool has added one extra sprint as compared to the first road-map. Then I have looked at the "sprint view" and checked for the "planned capacity ; free capacity " and the scope of sprint-1. I have noticed the "estimates" on the epics have become double (or equivalent) for the epics of the sprint-1. I have done more investigations, and then found more frustrating things in the calculations. The portfolio is showing the sum of "epic estimates" plus "sum of all child stories" udner that epic.
Example my Epic estimate was 18 days. I have refined the stories as "story-A with 3 days, B with 5 days, C with 2 days, D with 5 days, story E with 5 days". (In all the total of estimates on stories is 20 days). Now my expectation is that, Portfolio should calculate on one of the following options:
Option-1: It only does the calculations those are put on the Epic (18 days) Or
Option-2: It makes the sum of the child stories (20 days ) and makes the calculations.
But to my surprise, the Sprint-1 was was showing the "estimates" for that given epic as "38 days" ( sum of 18 + 20). And this is absolutely wrong. Some child issues pls the parent epic.
Can you please help to get the resolution for above two problems.
Please check this link. The problem (issue) exists from Aug-2016, and till date there is not concrete answer / resolution.
Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events