Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once an initiative is completed, how do I stop it appearing in the parent-link field dropdown

Nicole Downes December 13, 2020

I have setup an Initiative in Jira.  This is set higher in the hierarchy than the Epic, which allows the Epics to be linked to it, and shown in the Advance Roadmap underneath it.

The initiative is now complete.  This initiative issue is closed, but it still appears in the Parent-Link drop down list.   Is there a way to make it as done (like epics) so that it doesn't appear in the drop down list anymore?

The Initiative list will become unmanageable over time, if we cannot prevent it from appearing in the dropdown list.

2 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2020

@Nicole Downes -

In your AR plan, if you go to your plan's configuration Issues Source - there is a screen which you can uncheck those initiatives that you want to exclude from the plan (check boxes).  Once you uncheck the specific initiatives, then they should no longer appear in the AR plan's parent link column's dropdown list.

2020-12-13_15-21-33.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSD Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Nicole Downes December 13, 2020

Thanks Joseph,

I should have been more specific.   I don't want it to appear in Jira Parent-Link dropdown list.  For an epic, when you mark it as done, it no longer appears in the Epic tab, or in the Epic dropdown list when creating or updating an issue.  I want the same thing for the Initiative, That is, I don't want that to appear in the Parent-Link dropdown when updating or creating an issue in Jira.  The list becomes quite long as there are many development teams here, all creating their own initiatives per plan.

In the roadmap, it naturally disappears once I do the release, and remove the release from the Plan.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2020

Hi Nicole:

So you have exposed the Parent Link field for your EPIC issue type screen in Jira.  If that was the case, then I don't know how it can be removed from the dropdown list.  The only thing I can think of maybe you can archive the initiative issues, however I am not 100% sure that will work.

Here at our end, we always instruct our user to key in the exact issue key (for Initiative) if he/she wants to roll up the EPIC to Initiative outside of AR Plan interface.  It is to my knowledge the usage of exposing Parent Link field in the EPIC issue type screen in Jira (at Creation/Editing) is a back-door solution.

I would recommend you to formally submit a support request with Atlassian for solution.  If you obtain any response from them, please share it with me.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Jenn Sherman December 14, 2020

@Nicole Downes I agree that the drop down list will become unmanageable without this!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events