Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Portfolio release field

Ricky Aladort February 5, 2018

What JIRA field does Portfolio use to calculate releases? And is this a configurable option? For example, if fixed version is the field, can I choose another field in JIRA for releases?

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2018

Hi @Ricky Aladort,

Portfolio uses the fixVersion field that comes with Jira, it is currently not possible to use another field.

I am definitely curious about your situation and use case, feel free to describe it a bit if you're willing to help understand why this configuration would be useful / necessary in your case.

Cheers,

Thomas

E K February 15, 2019

Hi Thomas,

I have similar question as @Ricky Aladort .

My situation is as follows: we have sprints of 3 weeks and at each sprint we do a release. We also have a milestone release which can contain one or more sprints.

If I define in protfolio a milestone release (say containing 4 sprint releases), then this is added to JIRA as a "release".

But in JIRA, I will also release each sprint, which should have a fixed version for the issues/user stories fixed/completed in that sprint. I can use the milestone release, but that is not perfect because all sprints will have the same fixed version.

How to handle this situation? 

Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2019

Hi @E K ,

We are looking at both improving how we handle the conceptual difference of milestone/releases, and supporting multiple fixVersion per issues in Portfolio (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-1931).

For now, you could look at not assigning the milestone release to issues, rank it after the last sprint release and set its release start/end date to be after the previous release ended or with a fixed date. You will require to enable the "Show empty releases" on the timeline still.

Hope that helps,

Thomas.

Paulo Gaspar March 14, 2019

Is this really going to be fixed? Soon? I spent so much time trying to figure out why no issues (at all) were showing in Portfolio and the reason was the lack of the fix version field. Had to dig deep into the internet.

Also, it would be really cool it portfolio didn't depend on releases and versions. Not every team works like that. For example, for us, every sprint is a release, so we don't even configure releases in jira.

Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events