Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA PORTFOLIO - Max Plans per Program

Michael Schaaff April 24, 2018

I'm doing research into the limits of portfolio and found a page explaining the ability to set limits on how many tickets are displayed in your plan.  This lead me to question

What is the maximum number of plans a program can hold?

I couldn't find anything online talking about this so figured I'd ask.

1 answer

0 votes
samrobertsofficial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2018

Hi @Michael Schaaff

There is no practical limit of how many plans you can have in a program. However as a guideline: 

• If the sum total of the issues in all the program is > ~5000 performance issues will start to occur

On our side we see the most benefit from programs when they consume about 3-5 plans, but this is the average case. How many plans were you thinking of using? Do your plans represent a particular team, product? 

Thanks,

Sam

Michael Schaaff April 27, 2018

So we have about 4 levels of management (oy)....and they all want to be able to see the progress of their products. So I am starting to set up a Plan for each mid-level manager, but then there's the Program for the next level.  So I was going to make a Program for the each tier and just include all the plans from the programs below it....

To illustrate:

Program 1:

1. Plan A
    1. JIRA queue 1
    2. JIRA queue 2
  2. Plan B
    1. JIRA queue 3
    2. JIRA queue 4

Program 2:

1. Plan C
    1. JIRA queue 5
    2. JIRA queue 6

Program for the manager who manages the managers of 1 and 2:

1. Plan D (covering Program 1 & 2 from above)
    1. JIRA queue 1
    2. JIRA queue 2
    3. JIRA queue 3
    4. JIRA queue 4
    5. JIRA queue 5
    6. JIRA queue 6
  2. Plan E (covers some other subset of programs)
  3. Plan F

and then just build up for each level of management.  Which could potentially put a LOT of tickets into a program.  This is the only way I could think to accomplish what they're asking.

samrobertsofficial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2018

That sounds like it should work to me Michael! Let us know if you run into any performance issues in the future by lodging a support issue: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/ so that we can investigate further.

Also, we'd love it if you could give us feedback about programs after you use it through the "give feedback" button which you can find in the top right when viewing a program. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events