Is there functionality to help me lock order of tasks and update timelines based on previous changes

Yoana Mateeva November 20, 2020

I am using the Advanced JIRA roadmap as a tool to help project manage cross team projects. It is a replacement of Gantt for us and works great because instead of a passive spreadsheet, we can connect each task to the teams' boards which makes planned work more visible and planning easier to coordinate.

What am I currently missing / spending a lot of time manually resolving:

• I want to be able to separate tasks by Level 1 and Level 2 processes. Right now, I'm using Epics for Level 1 and Stories for Level 2 but because I can't nest Tasks within a Story, I'm using the order of the tickets to dictate the flow of the works. This is pretty flawed because as soon as somebody filters by date or task name, the whole order goes out of the window and has to manually be corrected. I have tried using Sub tasks nested within Tasks which works for things that are covered in the same sprint but breaks down as soon as some of the Sub tasks are covered in one sprint and the others in the next. Is there a way to nest Tasks into Stories, and Stories into Epics?
  • Even when nested, within every Level 2 process there are 10-20 steps (Tasks) and the order of these is important. Is there a way to hard code the order of the tasks, and have this as a "sort by" option? 
  • Very often, delays in one activity have a waterfall effect on everything else. Every time a date changes upstream, I have to manually adjust all the tasks' dates that happen thereafter. Is there a way to hard code the duration of each task and by changing one tasks' start dates, this to automatically update all the upcoming tasks as well?

It would be great to hear if any of these features exist or workarounds that can help me get to what I need. Looking forward to hearing from you!

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events