Is there a way to hide empty rows in a roadmap?

AJ Sanford August 3, 2022

We have one project that has a very large number of boards within it. I have created the hierarchy (Theme, Initiative, Epic...) and have been testing using a few of the boards. My dilemma is when I had Initiatives and filter by team, they show for all teams, even if there are no child Epics. If an Initiative has no child Epics, I would like for it to not show (much cleaner and less to sift through). I know I can manually exclude it, but if an Epic is linked in the future, I want it to automatically show back up on the roadmap. 

Any insights or recommendations is much appreciated!

1 answer

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2022

@AJ Sanford -

With AR for Jira plan, I am not aware there are any automated process/setup which you can hide Initiative if there are no child Epics from the plan.

The only option I can think of is setting up some type issue taggings against initiatives which don't have any child.  Afterward, you can setup filter to filter those one out as you train your users of the plan.

In general, one should not be hiding initiatives just because they don't have child roll-up in the plan.  It it because the plan should present to users a while picture/landscape for planning purpose.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2022

I'm not convinced using a AR filter input source helps here....  See these topics for the background.  AR input logic lacking - AR input Order of Operations 

To have the intended effect, I think you would need to change each board filter, but then you obviously impact the team boards....  Or I guess you could create a whole additional board to drive the desired filter, but as pointed out in the links above, it's a huge hassle to do so.  Would love to hear from the AR developers on the issue.

AJ Sanford August 4, 2022

Thanks @Joseph Chung Yin and @Aaron Gage

I get the logic of wanting to show all, however, do to the large number of Initiatives we have in this project (50+), it really makes it difficult to see the stuff that is relevant at the moment at a glance. Thanks for the links, Aaron - will continue to research. I would also love to hear from some developers and even share some more specifics. 

Appreciate the feedback, recommendations and quick responses!

~AJ 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events