Is there a way to change the relationship between Initiatives and Epics in Roadmaps?

Lynn February 14, 2022

When I work natively in my Jira backlog, I associate Initiatives to Epics using an implements or is implemented by relationship. In fact, there isn't an option to use a parent-child relationship in the view. This is unfortunate and means that for every Initiative-Epic pairing I make in my Jira Plan, I need to also add an implements or is implemented by relationship in order to see the item in the Links section of my issue. 

Is there a way to change the relationship between Initiatives and Epics in the Jira Plan to use an implements/implemented by relationship OR change my jira backlog to have a parent/child relationship?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2022

Hi @Lynn 

welcome to the community!!

Ultimately you want (and can have) The Initiatives as a level above your Epics. Here is how: Configure custom hierarchy levels in Advanced Roadmaps | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support

Lynn February 14, 2022

Hi Curt, thank you for the response. I understand that I can have a hierarchy but I want the relationship to be the same as what appears in my Jira backlog. The backlog doesn't have a parent-child relationship. As an example:

• If I open an Initiative issue there isn't an option to create a link to a child (More>>Link). Instead I've had to go into Jira Plans and drag/drop the item in the hierarchy to create the link.
    • Note I can view Child issues (Epics) from within the Initiative but there isn't a + next to it like there is within the Issue Links section.
  • If I open an Epic issue there isn't an option to create a link to a parent from an Epic (More>>Link). Instead I've had to use an "implements" relationship to have the initiative linked inside the issue.
    • Note, the relationship isn't represented in my view without doing the above. Then it appears in the Issue Links section.
Like Rohan Swami likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2022

OK, so what you need to do is enable the "Parent link" field in your Jira instance. As that is the field used to achieve what you want from within your Jira Epics. It works just like the Epic Link field does but it sits on your Epics and can be used to link to the Initiatives.

I would recommend enabling the Team field while you are at it.
How to here: Enable custom fields used in Advanced Roadmaps in Jira | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support

Like Rohan Swami likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events