Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to commit changes without sending out an email?

chadsmom February 28, 2019

I have been toying around with Portfolio and have made a few hundred changes while I test out different scenarios.  I don't want to send out a mass email with a few hundred updates, so is it possible to commit these changes to update JIRA without sending an email (similar to the bulk change functionality)?

3 answers

0 votes
Dan Montenegro March 4, 2021

Reason 552 as to why Click Up is better than Conflunkence...

0 votes
Nathan Funk February 27, 2020

My workaround is to just make bulk changes via the regular Jira bulk edit functionality and disable notifications there. 

But like others have mentioned, this issue is part of the reason why I just don't use Portfolio much any more. Just doesn't seem ready yet.

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

Hi Lee,

The emails sent on commit are going to reflect the settings of your Notification Scheme on the connected projects to the modified issues, and you would need to identify the events triggering the notifications and reduce the traffic for those events as needed for your commit.

You could temporarily disable these notifications with one of the methods described in the following posts to get around this, one describes fully disabling email temporarily, the other is a temporary scheme with relaxed notifications:

Regards,
Earl

benclohesy February 6, 2020

Or better yet... don't send the notices when an update is initiated from Portfolio for Jira. This is a pretty clunky workaround I'm afraid. 

Rach February 26, 2020

@benclohesy I feel your pain. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 4.06.33 PM.png

@Earl McCutcheon how would you feel if you suddenly got over 2000 emails from your JIRA Portfolio admin sending out updates? Bulk updates in regular JIRA allow to not send emails, its a much needed feature for portfolio. Very frustrating to have a work around for something so critical in a bulk management tool. 

Like # people like this
benclohesy February 26, 2020

2646! Committing that will be... brave :)

Rach February 26, 2020

@benclohesy - I give it a 50% chance that I crash Portfolio when I bash commit and it tries to run it. ;) We'll see. 

@chadsmom - did you ever find a better solution yourself in exploration?

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2020

Hey @Rach & @benclohesy ,

Thanks for the feedback and this is something we are looking at implementing, and we are tracking interest in the feature at the following link:

Please add a vote to to show your interest to help bump up the priority as covered in the "Implementation of New Features Policy" and if you have any additional feedback please drop a comment on the feature request as well.

Regards,
Earl

Rach February 27, 2020

@Earl McCutcheon Done but again it's been open for two years and no change. 

How on earth are other companies doing this with Portfolio at a bulk scale for enterprises without complaining though, the votes on the issue and conversation is so low..... I'm at a loss to understand whether you don't have any portfolio users trying to use it at scale as customers or whether people are simply happy to spam their teams with trivial update or hack their own schemas on an ongoing basis???

chadsmom February 27, 2020

@Rach I was never able to find a workaround.  We had so many changes and it was too clunky so we ended up just abandoning Portfolio altogether for our area.  Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
March 2, 2020

Howdy Y'all,

Update for anyone on the Jira Cloud platform, the Cloud Specific feature request has been created and is being tracked here:

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events