Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initiatives view like epics panel in the backlog

Britchey April 11, 2019

Hi the community !

I am currently evaluating the Jira Portfolio plugin for my company. This one seems really powerful :)

The approach that I have chosen is this one : 

• Project
    • Initiative
      • Epic
        • User Story
          • Sub-task
      • Epic
    • Initiative
  • Project

I have configured the main aspects to be able to add an "initiative" level over my epics and to show this level on epics view as a parent link. Everything seems to work properly when I manage that through the portfolio section.

Now my issue is that our production team will mainly work on the backlog view. And on this one it a bit tricky to clearly identify which epic is in which initiative.

Is there any possibility to be able to filter the epics displayed by them initiatives in the backlog view ?

(For example, by default you have a sidebar with the list of the epics of the project. When you click on an epic you see only the linked issues. I would expect the same with initiatives like : I have the list of my initiatives in a sidebar, I click on a specific one and I can see in another sidebar the epics linked, I click on a specific one and I can see the linked stories.)

2 answers

1 vote
Niclas Lundberg December 4, 2023

How is this not a feature already? 

We are in desperate need to sort epics in initatives, and that the initiatives can be added to verisons. Initiatives should most importantly also have a panel like epics and versions. HOW are epics so end all be all in Jira? It ruins the effectiveness of the app.

Simon Ma January 16, 2024

3 years an waiting ...

Like Lucy Dilts likes this
1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2019

Hi Britchey,

Thanks for reaching out but currently it is not possible to display Initiatives on the board as you noted.  Please check out the following post where I answered this question for another user recently that goes into a bit more detail on this with links to feature request to add this functionality in, make sure to add your vote to help us track interest for prioritization efforts per the Implementation of New Features Policy:

Regards,
Earl

IEX Atlassian December 4, 2020

@Earl McCutcheon Do you know if there a plugin on the marketplace that does this? 

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2020

Hello @IEX Atlassian ,

I did a bit of searching in the marketplace but could not find anything explicitly noting this as a feature and I am not aware of any add-ons that might have this as a feature either.

I would recommend reaching out in the Marketplace collection on Community to see if any of the app vendors or solution partners are aware of an app that fits this role.

Regards,
Earl

IEX Atlassian January 6, 2021

Thank you @Earl McCutcheon . I have upvoted this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-16698. 

I believe that this feature, if it were to become available upon installation of Advanced Roadmap add-on, will prove to be very useful. The backlog management will greats improve as agile teams will be able to filter or isolate issues by initiative. Presently, in the current board view, initiatives show up along with stories as backlog items, which is odd. An initiative issue type that sits atop Epic cannot be assigned to a sprint to get worked on. So keep the backlog view clean, we have to update the filter to ignore this issue type - additional overhead. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events