Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I force my stories in the JIRA backlog into the order I set in Portfolio?

John Bedworth October 10, 2019

My team has been using JIRA for a while, and they were using it fairly randomly and pulling stories in to sprints based on whims and crisis.  I noted we had Portfolio, and decided to 1) prioritize the initatives to make sure we had the right big picture strategy, and then, ordered all the epics within the initatives.  I then, very painstakingly went in and ordered every single story in every single initiative and got a top to bottom plan together that made sense to me, and our leadership team.  Happy and very proud of my work, I went back to the team for sprint planning that afternoon and... the team's backlog was completely unaffected.  I went back to portfolio, and made sure everything was committed, and nothing had changed in my plan.  All was well.  I then looked back at the team's backlogs (we have about 12 teams using JIRA) and they were all still random chaos.  I then went back to portfolio and set the filters to show only stories, and then the story list was in the same order as the chaotic backlog.  Putting back the initiatives and epics brought order back to the story mess, but once I just look at stories, they are all messed up.   How can I simply force my JIRA backlog into the order dictated by Portfolio's planning tools?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events