Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Utilize JIRA as a CRM?

Ricky Wang Lin July 2, 2021

Does anybody know, if it's possible to utilize Jira as some type of CRM(via apps or natively) where you can search tickets based on current/old users (Don't believe this is a thing as Jira is inherently a ticketing system unlike Salesforce).

For example, I'd like to be able to click on my profile and be able to see all the tickets that are associated with me.  I've seen some plug ins that are able to do sync with AD, but they don't seem to have this specific feature.

Any thoughts?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2021

This particular use case is pretty simple to solve with gadgets. 

There are two gadgets called "1D statistics" and "2D statistics", check out here.

Just select the "assignee" field as dimension, it will display the assignees with a counter and clicking the counter will take you to the Issue Navigator with the assignee's issues shown.

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 5, 2021

Yes, this is a good one! 

Ricky Wang Lin July 7, 2021

Hi Aaron.  Thanks for the response - I was aware of 2D statistics but never 1D statistics being around...

So in this case, Jira Default User fields will not be sufficient for the simple fact that they're prone to changes (e.g Assignee).  Your proposal would really only work if the Assignee is assumed to be sticking to me, but it'll disassociate from me the moment the Assignee field changes to something else.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

Maybe you could do like this:

1. Add a new custom field "Original assignee" (or something) of the "User Picker" type
  2. Implement a little automation (with the Automation for Jira app or ScriptRunner) that copies the new value of the "Assignee" built-in field when it is changing from NULL to non-NULL to the custom field but only if the custom field is NULL. Basically, the first time when the issue gets assigned, you also store that first assignee in the "Original assignee" field.
  3. You use "Original assignee" in the 1D Stats gadget.

Maybe it is not complete, but it gives you the idea of using a second "immutable" field.

0 votes
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 2, 2021

My old company used to have Jira as a CRM. It was alright, but at a certain point they migrated to a dedicated solution that was more helpful for marketing activities.

You can create JQL reports and have those in dashboards, the question is how you would associate that to a specific user. Would you have an owner custom field or something like that?

Ricky Wang Lin July 2, 2021

Hello - thank you for the response!

Well, to start off, the requirement would be: "How do I find all the tickets related to Ricky?"  Then we may evolve into something else fancier, but that's the starting point I'm looking for.

In terms of the 2nd part, yes, I presume there would be a contact/person field that pulls records from AD that we can enter value in.  So if we were to run a JQL against all the tickets where my name is entered in that contact/person field, then it'd pull all of that.  Ideally, a UI with search option would be nice to just look someone up for the more mediocre Jira users.

Any apps or tweaks you could recommend that your old company used?

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
July 5, 2021

What info about each user would you like to sync from AD? Depending on what it is I can recommend different apps.

The suggestion from Aaron is a really good starting point. 

Are your tickets deals? Are all of them associated to a company for example? 

Ricky Wang Lin July 7, 2021

Hi Capi  From AD, itd likely be a custom attribute that represents a date the user completed an agreement.

I took a look at Aaron's response and don't think it's the best for our particular use case as we're looking.

These tickets are to actually be utilized to track our Jira / Confluence access request records, so they aren't really deals or anything.  Basically, utilized Jira and this "CRM" like mechanism, I'm hoping to be able to answer questions like:

1. "When was Ricky approved to have Jira / Confluence access? 
  2. Has Ricky's user agreement expired and need renewal in order to continue to have access?"
  3. "If Ricky left the project and no longer needed Jira access, when was his last day and how do we know there was a ticket for his departure"?

Hopefully this provides more insight!

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
July 12, 2021

Well, syncing that attribute seems to be the important requirement you want to solve.

Do you have your AD on the cloud through Office365 or on your own servers? Do you have an LDAP sync with the Atlassian directory? Depending on your infra, the synchronization options will vary. 

The rest sounds pretty much like a standard approval workflow and some basic dashboarding that allows to quickly query existing tickets in that project. I'm sure you can find examples online for the approval workflow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events