Epics Staying in Portfolio after Resolved/Closed

Mikal June 18, 2019

For most of our Epics, they disappear out of portfolio once we mark them Resolved/Closed. However, some Epics remain even after this transition - I've checked and the child tickets are also Resolved/Closed. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Emma Ysebaert
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2019

Hi Mikal,

Apologies, the instructions above were for the new planning experience. To achieve this in your current planning experience, you can set a status filter:

From the More dropdown, select Statuses:

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 9.30.20 am.png

This will create a new Statuses dropdown to the right. Select this, and you'll be able to select only the statuses you want shown - i.e. to do and in progress:

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 9.30.35 am.png 

Let me know if this works for you,

Cheers,

Emma

Mikal June 25, 2019

Nope, one closed epic still appears - all tickets within the epic are also resolved/closed.

Where can I read more about the "new" portfolio experience and how would I transition to it? Thanks.

Emma Ysebaert
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2019

Hi Mikal,

If the Status filter doesn't solve the problem, it may be that you need to change the Completion date filter that is applied to the plan. The default completion date is 30 days, and you can set this to a custom range by selecting More -> Completion Date.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 10.20.45 am.png

This will create a new Completion Date dropdown to the right, where you can select a custom range to exclude completed stories

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 10.20.57 am.png 

Hopefully this does the trick!

In terms of the new planning experience, I'd highly recommend giving it a try! This was enabled from version 3.0, so depending on which version of the portfolio plugin you're currently using, you may need to update to see this option (latest version is 3.4.0). To try it out, you simply need to select the new planning interface option in the configuration menu. You can switch back and forth between the new and current experiences at any time.

Check out the product page to see an overview of the new features:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212136/portfolio-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Happy planning!

Emma

Mikal June 27, 2019

We're using Jira Cloud - how do I check our portfolio plugin version and update? Thanks.

Emma Ysebaert
Atlassian Team
June 27, 2019

The new planning experience I was referring to above is part of the Server offering, however Cloud is also developing a new planning experience called Jira Software Premium. If you follow this link, you'll get to explore the new offering, and you can join the waitlist for the Early Access Program to start trying out the new features!

0 votes
Emma Ysebaert
Atlassian Team
June 20, 2019

Hi Mikal,

In your configuration page, in Issue Sources, the default value for Completed Issues is 30 days. Any story that has been closed within this period (Epic's included) will stay in your plan until that period has passed. If you reduce this value to 0, your completed Epics and stories should no longer appear in the plan.

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 4.10.20 pm.png

Hope this helps!

Mikal June 24, 2019

Makes sense, I don't have that option though:Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 1.21.31 PM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events