Editing the Initiative -> Child Epic issue link in JIRA

Evan Gehring October 4, 2017

We have configured the Initiative issue type in JIRA so that we can link Epics together across different projects. In Portfolio, we are able to add child Epics to Initiatives, and in JIRA, I can go to an Initiative issue and see a list of all the "Child issues" for that Initiative.

However, I can't find a way to add child Epics to an Initiative in JIRA (without going into Portfolio). In fact, I can't find the configuration for this issue link type at all in our admin. Is there a way to expose this issue link so that users can edit the Initiative/Child Epic link in JIRA?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2017

They don't use linktypes, to my dismay. There is a field "parent link" that handles all hierarchy concerns above Epic Link.

Evan Gehring October 4, 2017

Ah, I see that now. Thank you!

1 vote
Jason Golden
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

A little more detail:

You can add "Parent Link" to any screen. But this only allows you to connect children to parents, on the child issue screen.

You're correct - when you're in the parent issue, there's no way to add new children in the "child issues" panel on the issue itself. You can only do this from your Portfolio plan.

-Jason Golden
Denver AUG Leader

Rob Berube March 16, 2018

pretty shitty design IMO.

Like # people like this
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2018

Good 1 mate

Like Tere Pile likes this
Tere Pile February 19, 2020

still an issue in 2020  smh

Like # people like this
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2020

Good 1 mate 

Tom Mason January 26, 2021

@Steven F Behnke you wouldn't believe it Steve, this is still an issue in 2021!!

Like # people like this
Joe Colombo February 4, 2021

@Tom Mason I wish they'd correct this. It's a pretty annoying problem.

Like # people like this
jbedar June 2, 2021

No wonder your Platinum Partners tell us it would take 3 weeks for Discovery...ridiculous.

Henry Chad Apale November 15, 2021

Seriously..? This should be a simple fix. Atlassian please enable Parents Links on the PARENTS please

Like # people like this
0 votes
John Cobbs January 9, 2023

Here is feature request for this specific issue. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-19005

0 votes
Niharika May 28, 2020

Hi, Can anyone help me about this topic? How can I add issue type Initiative which stays in Roadmap section and not Backlog section and I can add all the epics inside the Initiative?

Tarang May 28, 2020

For you to see "initiative" type in your backlog simply ensure in your filter for the board you include something that is  'issueType in (Initiative, Epic, Story, Bug, Task)' all inclusive as otherwise you may have limited view.

As for Epics to be included in an Initiative, you need to individually make a "Parent Link" from the Epic to the Initiative it is to be part of.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Advanced-Roadmaps-questions/JIRA-Portfolio-epic-link-vs-parent-link/qaq-p/947705 

Niharika May 28, 2020

I did not understand how to create a parent link?

Maksim_Feshchanka October 27, 2021

There's a "Parent Link" field that should be available in the epic (add if necessary).

Type the initiative id (ticket number) or title in that field and link it (similarly to 'epic link") but on a level above.

0 votes
Liviu Damian September 12, 2018

No, this is not working. I put parent link field in all screens and does not appear in any of the screens.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2018

Ask your own new question instead of "answering" someone else's question with a new question years later.

Like Asegid Debebe likes this
tvishakha January 16, 2020

can anyone help, i made Initiative in Issue link as parent task of Epics , previously with same linking EPICS were coming under INITIATIVES, but after few days with same link type (Initiative  - "as parent task of" EPIC , is not coming in Jira.

Stories are linked to EPIC, but EPICS are not linked to Initiatives.

Can anyone please help ?

Tarang April 13, 2020

If you made an Initiative as "parent task of Epics" then this will show up in the initiative under "Issue Links" -> "is parent task of". and will not be identified as "Child issues" that "parent link" refers to.

So it depends where and how you created the Epic.

If you created the Epic within the Initiative in Jira Portfolio add-on app then all is good, as it will correctly place this in the hierarchy Initiative -> Epic that Portfolio uses and relies on.

If however you created the Epic, and later you said I want this to be in the named Initiative then you have to make sure you edit the Epic and

1) define the "Parent Link" with the Initiative name.

2) Do not use "Linked Issues" 'is child task of'

as even though the 2nd links the Epic to the Initiative, its not recognized as such by Jira Portfolio in the same way and your portfolio plan will miss this.

Sure this has to be a bug, as if you can do the same thing 2 ways and each has different behavior then its a recipe for real screw ups downstream and no one will be any wiser.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events