Can I use Portfolio as top-down project planning tool?

Tine Uldahl Vigsø April 10, 2019

Hi,

We are using Portfolio for Jira as our project planning tool: we plan in a top-down approach where we plan and estimate on epic level and then leave the issue level for the sprints. However, we face the problem that whenever an estimated task/story is placed in the pre-planned epic the estimate of the epic is increased with the estimate of the task/story making it impossible for us to create burn-downs on our plan and on the epics. 

Is there a way to have task/story estimate substrat from epic estimate?

Thanks, Tine

1 answer

0 votes
samrobertsofficial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2019

Hi @Tine Uldahl Vigsø ,

As I understand it, you'd like the epic estimate to shrink as it gets filled out by the stories? 

As far as the burndown chart - under what lense are you expecting to view this chart- per epic? Or at the team level?

Unfortunately I'm not sure of a way to do this automatically in Jira or Portfolio. In Portfolio you can definitely see a roll-up of the value of stories, but you'd have to manually subtract that as stories are added in. Where you might find more value in Portfolio is being to see your top initiatives, and how they are broken down into epics in one view. 

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Thanks,
Sam

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events