Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aggregating numeric fields

Amir Baruch April 1, 2022

Hey,

I user advanced roadmap in order to plan the work of the teams for a quarter. That seems to be one of the targets of such tools as it supports team capacity for example.

My wise is much more humble thought: I would like to be able to sum the value of the numeric fields under a filter (say estimate effort).

That way I will be able to quickly see how much effort was assigned to a Qtr. 

Any idea how to do that before trying to do it with a chrome add-on?

BR,

Amir

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2022

Hi @Amir Baruch 

You can see a roll-up of some data...

• On your Plan - go to View Settings
  • From this drop-down - you can select to visualise a roll-up of...
    • Dates - Show a roll-up of dates in the fields and timeline sections.
    • Others - Show a roll-up of sprints, releases, teams, and estimates in the fields section.

If you mean a custom numeric field though, this isn't possible at this stage.

You could...

• Either add the custom field to each hierarchical level, or create a second numeric custom field per level as SUM of children
  • Use Automation to aggregate the data between levels
  • Display these custom fields in the Plan

Ste

Amir Baruch April 3, 2022

Thanks @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ .Didn't know about that option.

If I understand correctly it rolls up the numbers to the parent ticket: so for example it aggregates the story points of all user stories and shows it on the EPIC level.

I am more interested with knowing how many user stories have been allocated to a release to make sure that I did not exceed the budget. 

Is there an option to do that?

I am using the following view:

- Team

-- user story 1

-- user story 2

On the team level I would like to see that sum of all user stories of all user stories that appear under that team with that specific team.

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2022

@Amir Baruch  you can achieve these things via JQL and using the "Jira" macro on a confluence page or a dashboard gadget.

i.e.

fixVersion = XXX and "Team[Team]" = 999 

set the display options of the macro to "Total issue count"

display opt.png

Or use the Jira roadmap gadget and get a count of issues per Release/s as well as a progress report.

Screenshot 2022-04-04 085114.png

Like Mauricio GALVEZ likes this
Amir Baruch April 7, 2022

Thanks! and is there an option to aggregate the total efforts or story points? I mean even with a JQL filter.

I am interested with showing budget (total capacity of the team) vs what is planned (all the items that were allocated to the version)

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2022

Hi @Amir Baruch 

I think for the release allocation question, what @Curt Holley has suggested is the best option - using JQL to highlight this information on a Confluence page or Dashboard will allow you to review it.

In terms of aggregation - I've seen it done using Automation - where teams aggregate the total effort of story points between hierarchical issues (eg. to Epic level).

But to use these values in JQL, either as a column or to query against, it needs to be metadata. This needs to be listed against an Issue - rather than a Release, where additional information cannot be added at this time.

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events