Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Roadmaps - Cannot add Initiative to roll up epics in the hierarchy

Ian Rees May 18, 2022

I've recently installed Advanced roadmaps and added an Issue Type "Initiative".  I have added the Issue Type "Initiative" to my Project Issue Type Scheme.  I then go into the Issue Type Hierarchy in Advanced roadmaps and add the level Initiative above Epic.  However there is number in a column called "#".  The number next to Epic is 1 and the number next to Initiative is 2. 

I was hoping to create a hierarchy of Initiative->Epic->Story and expecting that I would be able to add Epic issues as child issues in the Initiative, in the same way you can add child issues in an Epic.  However, instead when I add issues to an Epic, Initiative is an option as a child of an Epic but I want that to be the parent of the Epic not a chile.  How do I create Epics as a child of an Initiative.issue type hierarchy.pngepic.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Davies
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2022

Hi @Ian Rees 

Issue type hierarchy above epic is only fully supported in an Advanced Roadmap's Plan view. Everywhere else in Jira Software will interpret issues above epic as standard issue types (e.g. story, bug, task).  

In order to create epics as child issues to an initiative (outside of Advanced Roadmaps), you'll first need to create the epics and then link them to the initiative using the "parent link" field.

Hope this helps

Ian Rees May 18, 2022

Perfect - thanks. Looks like the missing step is to add the Parent Link field to the Epic Screen.

jeroen_wilmes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2022

Hi, this seems not to do the trick.  So maybe I miss a step.
If I do what you describe the Epic shows indeed up in my plan, but it shows up without a parent initiative, although I made an Initiative of my plan the parent of the Epic with the "parent link". That means with Links I made the Epic "a Child of" the Initiative. What is my mistake?

Mark Davies
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2022

Hi @jeroen_wilmes 

In your plan, check that your hierarchy is filtered to show Initiatives. Under the plan name, click on "Filters" and the first filter should be "Hierarchy". Check that "From" is set to "Initiative".

Next, check that your issue sources are pulling in the initiative from a project/board/filter. You can do this by clicking on the "..." menu (located next to the plan name). Then in the dropdown list, click on "Configure" and then "Issue sources" in the left-hand navigation menu. If the project, which stores the initiative is not listed, add it as an issue source. You should now be able to see the initiative in the plan. 

If the initiative is still not appearing in the plan, you may want to check that you don't have any "exclusion rules" set, which may be excluding the initiative from the plan. This view can be found in the "..." menu -> "Configure" -> "Exclusion rules".

Like # people like this
jeroen_wilmes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2022

Thanks for helping. I checked the different filters and all needed projects are also included.

I do see both, the Initiative and the Epic, but the Epics shows up as having no parent. From the advanced roadmap plan I can bring it under the initiative, that all works fine but is not efficient.

To me it seems an issue with integration of Advanced Roadmaps with Jira. The Link types in Jira are NO hierarchy links. And from Advanced Roadmaps down to Jira it works; I can pull the EPic under the Inititiative but the other way around from Jira making an epic a child of an Initiative in Advanced roadmap doesn't work. Hopefully Atlassian is going to solve that sooner or later.

0 votes
Alexandra Toth May 18, 2022

Does drag and drop not work for you?

Ian Rees May 18, 2022

Do you mean in the "Issue Type hierarchy". I can drag the newly created Initiative level but can only drop it in its position back at the top above Epic, Story and Sub-task.  The number on the left in the '#' column is always 2.

Alexandra Toth May 18, 2022

I remember saving out the hierarchy with not changes to the numbers without an issue. What happens when you save- does your plan pull up Initiative in the first dropdown option? ajr.PNG

Like Rob Russell likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events