Add custom field for new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira

Brian January 15, 2019

Hello,

We are using Portfolio for Jira v2.21 and have started using the new planning experience.  In the administration page of Portfolio it says we can add custom fields to see as available options.  When I try to add a custom field some are available but most of my custom fields are unavailable.  Any reason why?

What makes a custom field supported versus unsupported in Portfolio?

portfolio custom field.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2019

Hi @Brian,

Thanks for your feedback, great to see your team is already up and running with the new experience. We are adding support to custom fields in Portfolio incrementally. In the next few version updates you can expect to to view and edit single select, multi select and number custom field types. 

Would be great to get your thoughts,

Roi Fine | Product Mannager

Brian January 16, 2019

Thank you for the response Roi. 

Are you saying only fields that are basic text fields are supported with the current version of Portfolio for Jira for custom fields?  In the future single select, multi select and number custom field types will be available.  So all of the fields that say "unsupported" as a custom field in Portfolio are because they aren't a basic text field type?

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2019

Yes that is correct, in version 2.23 ( released in just short few weeks ) you will have more custom fields types supported other than single line text field. We are adding support to more and more types incrementally as each type demands development work. 

Does that make sense?

Brian January 16, 2019
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2019

Hopefully custom date fields will be supported soon? I know a few folks wondering about this. Appreciate any insight!

Gavin Stevenson May 29, 2019

Hi Roi. We're now trying to configure a SAFe configuration in Portfolio for Jira 3.1.0. The calculation of WSJF (Weighted Shortest Job First) is achievable using custom fields and the 'Jira Misc Custom Field' plugin; however, the display of custom fields (such as WSJF) within Jira Portfolio is still unsupported (in 3.1.0). Please can you indicate a timeline when this feature will be available?

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
May 29, 2019

Hi Gavin, 

We currently support only custom fields that get created in Jira Software. 

Saying that, I'd love to help you get your SAFe configuration up and running.

I'd love to chat and learn more on how we can help. Please send us feedback to portfoliofeedback@atlassian.com about what is missing from a SAFe configuration point of view.

Cheers,

Like Ijeoma Ekeh likes this
Gavin Stevenson May 31, 2019

Thanks Roi. I'll be in touch.

Lisa de Araujo October 12, 2019

Do we have a timeline for support for Custom User Fields in Portfolio?

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
October 13, 2019

Hi @Lisa de Araujo ,

User picker custom field in supported in Portfolio for Jira Server/DC starting version 3.5 - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolio/portfolio-for-jira-3-5-release-notes-973477223.html

Cheers,

Lisa de Araujo October 14, 2019

I assume 3.12 is the latest version? What other reason would there be for a user picker field being unsupported in Server? unsupported.png

Cheryl_Gilmore October 17, 2019

Hello, any plans to add icon single select field as supported? We use Red/Yellow/Green icon for project health in JIRA and would like for that to be displayed as a field in th portfolio EPIC/Story planning view. Thanks

0 votes
Bill Passman September 22, 2021

I have custom fields and would like my plan to be able to be grouped by that custom field.  This would let me manage the visibility of multiple "sub-projects" that are not Jira Projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events