cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Portfolio Cloud Experience Beta

37 comments

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2020

@Krista Parker The basic roadmap for classic projects will come in a couple months (we can't comment on the exact date) so it will not correspond with the release of Advanced Roadmaps which is just around the corner.

@Eoghan Murphy @Sunitha Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Just like Portfolio, you will have to pay for all Jira Software Cloud users. We are doing everything we can to make the transition as easy as possible, with long extended trials. One benefit to keep in mind is how much good stuff is coming into Jira Software Premium, including automation features, project archiving, special dashboards for administrators, a sandbox environment, and a lot more. We think most customers who use Portfolio today are going to benefit a lot from these additional features. If you only need the roadmap features, we have our basic roadmap coming to all plans at no additional cost (coming soon) and there's several options in the marketplace as well. I'm available to chat through any of the changes on a 1x1 basis if you're interested. My email is jfrank@atlassian.com. 

Like # people like this
Eoghan Murphy May 13, 2020

Thanks @Josh Frank I guess we'll have to wait and see what the basic roadmap will offer and how feedback on it is received & actioned during the overlap period when we're all on the extended trial of Premium and can compare with basic roadmap. I'm assuming that you're planning a lengthy overlap so the Premium trials may get extended if basic roadmaps slips beyond a couple of months

It just seems like a strange way of working to remove something from the marketplace that is obviously satisfying a need and offer customers a choice of

• less functionality
  • significantly higher cost
  • go through another evaluation phase on other Marketplace offerings.

You can't justify the higher cost based on - look at how much good stuff you get - when this thread offers clear indications that folks want the option to maintain what they have for a reasonable cost. 

At the very least it seems first feedback on basic roadmaps will be to add support for higher levels above epic so maybe look to action that before it gets released 

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
Uffe Henrichsen May 14, 2020

This might be useful for some of you: We're currently trying out Panorama as an alternative to Portfolio. It doesn't have any Gantt features, but you can configure hierarchies with your own custom issues as well as the basic ones from Jira. It seems pretty good so far, is dirt cheap, and the developer is very responsive.

Bruno Fernandes May 14, 2020

Good morning Atlassian,

Today I took a look on advanced roadmap and it doesn't serve our needs.

We use Portfolio mainly to manage capacity, a feature that was completed dropped from this new portfolio.

That said I need clarification if the old Portfolio (or live plans) will continue to be available and supported. In your documentation you are classifying live plans as "Legacy".

Are you going to descontinue Live Plans? If yes when?

PS: Without capacity management we don't have any motivation moving into JIRA Premium.

Thanks,

Bruno

Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2020

Hi @Bruno Fernandes - which capacity features are you referring to here? We do support sprint capacity when using boards as issue sources and this can be visualised on the timeline.

Are you referring to individual team member capacity?

We haven't finalised the path forward for live plans yet, but our focus as a product team is now on the improved interface. 

Bruno Fernandes May 14, 2020

Hi Pete,

I'm referring individual team capacity, days-off, scheduling issues based on team's and individual capacity.

Thanks,

Bruno

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2020

I guess I delayed too long in posting my comments, as the beta is closed now.  But here they are anyway:

I've been using the new UI to plan my group's Q3 work (20 people and 4 teams).  I haven't used the scheduling feature in the past but may do so now.

Positives:

• Getting used to the new UI took less than a day.  It may help that we also have a Data Center installation and the new Cloud UI is similar to that.
  • After creating 100+ stories and epics, it's clear that the UI is much faster, especially in saving changes to Jira.  This is using the exact data sources I used before, so it's apples-to-apples.
  • The filtering options are more intuitive.  I do wish I could do a quick text filter without opening up the filter panel.
  • I love being able to group by team.  
  • The drag-and-drop of issues into different epics works great.
  • You've solved the annoying "hidden progress" issue of the old UI.  This was where you had to set custom date and other filters to get the completed work to show up and thus influence the progress bar.

Negatives / suggestions:

• I'm definitely not happy that Premium will be required.  Given that big companies tend to have a hodgepodge of tools, there may never be a day when the whole firm uses Advanced Roadmaps.  In addition, a good % of Jira users will continue to use random other stuff like Aha! and Planview.  It's not feasible to migrate a 16,000 user company to one tool in order to get the full value.  Jira Service Desk licensing is a better model.  Let me buy a smaller number of AR licenses and restrict plan editing to those users.  
  • I'd like to be able to hide the schedule UI completely and use 100% of the width for the treeview and issue fields.
  • I still haven't figured out how to make good use of the schedule.  Will try today, but my goal is to avoid the old Confluence Roadmaps macro and just use a collapsed version of AR (epic/initiative level) to show to execs.  

As mentioned above, we have multiple departments pushing for different portfolio planning solutions.  If I can wow them with AR and the price is right, I might be able to make Atlassian the standard.  

Like # people like this
Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2020

Hi @John Price - thanks so much for your feedback! This is all great and very helpful to us.

Regarding a few of your product comments:

• If I've understood you correctly, you actually can hide the timeline view today. Click the dividing lines between the "Fields" and "Timelines" sections, or between the "Scope" and "Fields" section and drag to the right. This should collapse the timeline view until only the "Scope" and "Fields" sections are showing. If you're looking to resize between the "Scope" and "Fields" view once the "Timeline" is collapsed then you may need to drag out the "Timeline" a little first in order to create space for the other sections to resize. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean.
  • We have a few updates coming in the next few months that might help with your last point. Firstly, we will allow you to more easily save and share views that make sense to you and your stakeholders, and secondly we have a Confluence macro that will aid in embedding in pages without having to use the iFrame macro.

Hope that helps.

Like John Price likes this
Deleted user September 11, 2020

@Pete Morris Have you read what @Eoghan Murphy wrote?

That...this is Atlassian's Achilles heel. The vast majority of "business function" plugins are not used by over 90% of the Jira using population (i.e. our developers), yet the business model where even folks who may be "permissioned out" of accessing certain things that are built with those "business function" plugins have to be paid for. What is that?

Tomas Junger December 2, 2020

@Uffe Henrichsen Hi, we solved this issue with excellent plugin BigPicture from Softwareplant and we use as Portfolio structure with the same visualization and more useful features 

• custom issue hiearchy
  • gant view
  • roadmap view
  • SAFe modul
  • reports
  • capacity

demo

https://softwareplant.com/demo/

price for 10 users is only 5$

Second option is Structure plugin from ALM works, but there are still limitation in Jira cloud version.

Like # people like this
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

@Pete Morris 

A lot of organisations are still using waterfall or at least a mix of waterfall and agile. Advanced roadmaps is lacking this must have feature. 

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

cannot agree more @Tomas Junger 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events