Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting more out of (and into) Portfolio for Jira Server

You may have heard the recent news involving the launch of Portfolio for Jira Server 2.13 and its JAVA and REST APIs. Well, whether or not you've come across our "Forecast realistically with Portfolio for Jira Server’s API" blog or this blog dedicated to the Atlassian Developer Community which helped kick off this exciting announcement, I thought I'd share a bit more about this functionality with hopes that it will inspire you to start applying its use in some new and creative ways.

portfolio-for-jira-api.png

What's new with 2.13?

The REST and JAVA APIs which launched with Portfolio for Jira Server 2.13 open the doors to advanced capabilities involving the tracking of your team's capacity and its impact on your overall plans. Leveraging these APIs can improve a number of functions, which I'll get into briefly in a bit, but take a look at what's included in the simplest of terms.

Teams

Ability to programmatically  List/Create/Edit/Delete teams in Portfolio

Team Members 

Ability to programmatically List team members of a team in Portfolio

Ability to programmatically Associate or dissociate a member to/from a team

Absences

Ability to programmatically List/Create/Edit/Delete absences of a user

Availabilities

Ability to programmatically List/Create/Edit/Delete exceptions of a team member

Getting more out of Portfolio

For a handful of Portfolio for Jira Server customers, extracting critical data from Portfolio and reporting on higher levels of hierarchy, issues in a plan, and programs was admittedly tough. In many cases, it involved a great deal of creativity and ingenuity to make it happen. Hence, this feature request rose in popularity. The availability of the new Portfolio for Jira APIs helps to ensure the reporting you want is powered by the data you've got and there's no lack of representation when it comes to reporting on the pieces most critical to your business.

Getting more into Portfolio

Just as helpful as it is to get data and info out of Portfolio for Jira Server, is the ability to pump it in. Data from sources such as HR systems can be input into your instance, removing the need for manual entry. This allows you to get a more accurate read on individual and team capacity to help guide how you allocate those resources. For many that already view Portfolio for Jira Server as the source of truth when referring to their roadmaps and long-term strategic planning, this sentiment has only been bolstered by the fact that data that once was relegated to external systems can now pass seamlessly into Portfolio enriching its capabilities significantly.

Help shape the future of our APIs

If you haven't already, be sure to visit the Atlassian Marketplace to access the latest version of Portfolio for Jira Server. We're eager to hear how you put this new functionality to use, so drop us a comment below to share the details. And, if you're interested in shaping the future of our APIs, here's a link where you can share your ideas: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-2322. We're looking forward to your input!

1 comment

Consulente Atlassian May 22, 2018

hello @Josh Berman thank you for allowing me to publish a translated Italian version of your post. In fact, the features that are now exposed with the API Portfolio For JIRA I think they are very useful and I invite all Italian readers to contribute to the initiative, both commenting here and possibly on my post in Italian on Linkedin (here https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/portfolio-jira-213-api-kalos-bonasia/ )

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events