Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JQL For All Descendants of an Epic

Prasad Andrews July 13, 2021

Hello, I'm using Jira within my project (RNA).

I am looking for a JQL Query that I can use to return all descendant issues of an epic.

In this project, we only have 1 issue type other than Epic, called "Task".

We also use Sub-Tasks within Tasks.

Example Structure:

Epic = RNA-1\

Task = RNA-4

Sub-Task = RNA-850

I would like a query that would return RNA-4 AND RNA-850 when I point the query to the epic (RNA-1).

Solutions I've tried that do not work for me include:

• issuekey in childIssuesOf("RNA-1")

The solution I know will work, but is not dynamic and requires constant updating:

Epic Link = RNA-1 OR parent = "RNA-4"

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("Project = RNA") AND "Epic Link" = RNA-1 OR parent = "RNA-4"

Unfortunately, this solution requires me to update my query and add the additional "Tasks" or parents to my query each time I add a new task.

Could you please help me find a more dynamic way to query these issues?

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

I think you can achieve that with a 2-part JQL.

Unfortunately, you will need to specify your epic twice:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics('key=RNA-1') or issueFunction in subtasksOf("issueFunction  in issuesInEpics('key=RNA-1')")

The first part will get you the list of tasks. The second part will get you the SubTasks for all the issues in the first part.

Or you can try 

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfAllRecursive('key=RNA-1')

But that will also include the EPIC in the result and any other linked issues

0 votes
Iryna Ihnatiuk {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2021

Hi again @Prasad Andrews ,

Sorry if my post is inappropriate. I did not immediately notice that this is Adaptavist group  :(

Regards,
Iryna

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

Hi @Iryna Ihnatiuk {Appfire} ,

please have a good read-through of Atlassian Community online guidelines for Marketplace vendors and Solution Partners as they provide guidance on how to act around the community as a marketplace vendor. This includes the various way of identifying yourself as a partner (e.g., putting the vendor name in the user name) and clearly stating your affiliation with the company providing those products or services. Please play fair here as other app vendors are judged by the same standard and always keep in mind that your primary goal should be to help the user and not solely promote your application as a solution. Thank you very much! 👍🏻

Best, Max

0 votes
Iryna Ihnatiuk {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2021

Hi @Prasad Andrews ,

Take a look at Power Utilities for Jira app. It has JQL functions that should work for you:

• issuesParents(JQLquery) - returns a list of issues that are parents of all issues inside the specified JQL query (e.x. issue in issuesParents("Project = PRDT"))

• issuesSubtasks(JQLquery)returns a list of issues that are subtasks of all issues in the specified JQL query (e.x. issue in issuesSubtasks("Project = PRDT"))

More details here or feel free to reach out support team.

Regards,
Iryna

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events