Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit an option of a custom field using the option ID using script runner

Praveen January 17, 2018

I am trying to update an option of a select list (based on changes in a certain issue). For example if the Description of "Issue 1" changes from "OptionName" to "Option Name" then the option of the select list custom field should also change to "Option Name".

Is there any way to update an option using the option ID for a particular custom field?

2 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Anton Chemlev - Toolstrek -
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2018

Mmm, yes, it seems to be possible...

1) You can get previous Summary field value via https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/7.0.4/com/atlassian/jira/issue/changehistory/ChangeHistoryManager.html

For example:

def changeItems = changeHistoryManager.getAllChangeItems(issue)

if (changeItems) {
def originalResolutionDate = changeItems.findAll {
it.field == "resolution"
}?.created.last()

2) And update custom field options via https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/7.6.1/com/atlassian/jira/issue/customfields/manager/OptionsManager.html. There's findByOptionId(Long optionId) method and setValue(Option option, String value) .

3) You can get appropriate field config via https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/7.2.0/com/atlassian/jira/issue/fields/CustomField.html#getRelevantConfig-com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue-

Hope this will help.

Praveen January 29, 2018

Hi Anton, I have tried the above suggestion, however I am unable to use the setValue() method. It is throwing error. 

Error Message:  

[Static type checking) - Cannot find matching method

Script356#setValue(com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.option.Option,

java.lang.String). Please check if the declared type is right and if the method

exists.

Possible solutions: getClass()  line 22, column 1.

Below is my code for your reference

def issue = event.issue as Issue

OptionsManager optionsManager = ComponentManager.getComponentInstanceOfType(OptionsManager.class);
def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
def newOptionValue = ComponentAccessor.getChangeHistoryManager().getChangeItemsForField(issue, "Name").collect {it.toString }.join(", ")
def oldOptionValue = ComponentAccessor.getChangeHistoryManager().getChangeItemsForField(issue, "Name").collect {it.fromString }.join(", ")

def cf = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Custom_Field")
def fieldConfig = cf.getRelevantConfig(issue)
Option oldOption = ComponentAccessor.optionsManager.getOptions(fieldConfig)?.find { it.toString() == oldOptionValue.toString()}

void setValue(oldOption, newOptionValue)
Marcus Yu June 14, 2020

Did you ever get this to work?

Slava Gefen May 8, 2023

It's working, thanks @Anton Chemlev - Toolstrek - !

0 votes
Anton Chemlev - Toolstrek -
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2018

Hi,

What problem are you trying to solve? Could you please provide business-case?

You mean adding new options to select list on the fly? Or just choosing from existing ones?

Praveen January 29, 2018

Hi Anton,

I have to update/rename an option from the set of already existing options. 

We already have a script to add new options in the form of issues (if a certain issue type is created its summary will be automatically be added as option). So if the user updates (changes the summary) the issue, the option should also change.

Ex:

IssueType: Fruits

Custom field Name: "Select Fruits"

Now if a new issue of type "Fruits" gets created, say for example "Apple" it will get added as an option to the Custom_field "Select Fruits" - this is working. But if someone edits the issue and changes from "Apple" to "Apples" it should Update the option also to "Apples" - this I'm unable to do.

Atmuri Naga Sumanth May 10, 2022

@Praveen  we are also facing the same issue, Did you get solution to this? If yes, can you please help me over here..

Atmuri Naga Sumanth May 10, 2022

I also need to update the existing custom filed option

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events