Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you archive Community Forum topics but still link to them?

Dominique Rada August 21, 2017

Hi 

We are using Confluence 5.0. and we are using the Community Forum plugin. We have old topics which we would like to archive but still be able to link to them from the active topic pages where relevant. Is this possible?  We don't have the archive plugin though. Does the community forum have this capability?

If using the Archive Plugin is the only way, does this allow active pages to link to archived pages?

Thank you.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Dominique,

Can you confirm if the Community Forums for Confluence plugin by Adaptavist is the one you're using?

That way, we can tag the company on it and move it to the proper queue so you'll get the relevant responses.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Dominique Rada August 23, 2017

Hi Yes it is. Sorry am new to all this so not sure how to tag it as such. 

Thank you.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

No worries, Dominique! I just want to be sure the right people see your question. I'll go ahead and update that now and someone will be able to assist you with that.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Rafael Franco
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2017

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for using Community Forums for Confluence. 

Can you tell me exactly how you are going to archive these pages? Are you archiving the space?

Cheers,

Rafael

Dominique Rada August 24, 2017

Basically we want to place aside (ie archive but not delete) all topics in the forum that are older than 2 years and only have current 2 years (2017 & 2016 topics) of topics listed in our Forum. But have access to the archived topics so that any of the current topics can refer to specific topics via a link, to archived topics. So we don't want to delete the old topics but just not have them appearing in our current ones. And also stop any comments being added to the old topics. 

Is there a setting in the community forum macro that allocates topics to be archived? or would we need to create a whole new forum and call it archived and move all our old topics to that one? (is this possible?) or would we need to get the Archive plugin and if so, would it be able to archive old topics but still be able to link to it?

So we don't want to archive a whole Space as such. Just pages (ie. Topics).

I hope this explains it more.

Rafael Franco
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2017

Hi Dominique,

My suggestion to achieve what you need is creating a specific space for archiving and create a new Forum there called: Archived

Then you would need to lock each topic that you wish to be archived so that no further comments can be made and then move that topic to the new Archived Forum

If you want to automate this procedure, I suggest you use ScriptRunner for Confluence where you could even establish a Script Job that constantly checked for how old a topic is and moves it automatically to the new Archived Forum.

Hope it helps

Rafael

Dominique Rada September 19, 2017

@Rafael Thank you for your suggestion. I found a way around this problem. 

We didn't want to create a new Space and jump from one space to another, as it would confuse users. So instead I created a parent page called "Archived Topics" under the Forum parent and Moved the individual Topics pages to sit under "Archive" parent. So that they become children pages under "Archived Topics" To lock it I had to convert the page to "Mark as Topic" and then locked it. I did this to all old topics. On the Forum you can see "Archived Topics" and then all the current topics. When you go to the "Archived Topics", you can see the list of all the old Topics that are locked.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events