Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field 'customfield_10011' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

Sameer Bhangale April 22, 2021

I am using JIRA Cloud REST API to create an Epic issue.

Just to be clear customfield_10011 is actually "Epic Name" field.

Here's code snippet I am using to create Epic :

def createDoc = [
fields: [

description: "NOT SPECIFIED",
"customfield_10011" : "HGHGH",
project: [
id: 10255
],
issuetype: [
id: EpicTypeId
],

summary: "Epic Summary"
]
]

def resp = post("/rest/api/2/issue")
.header("Content-Type", "application/json")
.body(createDoc)
.asObject(Map)

With this I am getting an error as : 

{
  "errorMessages": [],
  "errors": {
    "customfield_10011": "Field 'customfield_10011' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."
  }
}

Also, When I try to update "customfield_10011" on existing epic, it works from REST API.

FYI, I already have added the field added on screen. (In fact I am using same screen to create, edit and view Epic)

Any suggestion/help appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Sameer B

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2021

Hello @Sameer Bhangale 

When you update an Epic, the edit screen is used. When you create an Epic, the create screen is used; the two screens are not the same.

Double check that you can create an Epic via the web interface in that project, and that the Name and Summary fields are there on the create screen, like this:

Epic Create screen.png

If you have already double checked that the Name and Summary fields are on the Create screen and that one screen is used for creating, editing and viewing an Epic, then it might be a coding issue in the body of the request. Try removing the inverted commas around the field definition, like this:

fields: [
description: "The Epic Description",
customfield_10011: "The Epic Name",
summary: "The Epic Summary",
project: [
id: 10255
],
issuetype: [
name: "Epic"
]
]

Try referring to the issueType by its name 'Epic' not by its ID, as show above, just in case you're using the wrong ID.

Sameer Bhangale April 23, 2021

@David Bakkers Thank You for helping.

Actually I was getting wrong issue type id for epic.

Corrected it and now it is working.

Thanks and Regards,

Sameer B.

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2021

You may have the field on the issues "edit" screen, but the error message is clear - you do not have it on the "create" screen.

This can also happen if you do not have permission to create issues, the REST API can report missing fields instead of "no create permission"

0 votes
Hayden Chudy June 2, 2023

For those attempting to set a custom field of type labels through the REST API that are getting this issue. Try moving the configuration outside of the fields key and into update, like so:

```
{
"fields": {
// your other fields
},
"update": {
"customfield_10029": [
{ "add": "ANY_VALUE" }
]
}
}
```