Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Behaviours - differentiate between creation and editing of an issue

Samantha Webber December 18, 2017

Hello,

I would like a section of my Behaviours script to apply only to newly created issues, and not to issues being edited. How can I specify this?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2017

Hello, 

You can use 'getActionName()' to tell what action you are currently in. For the 'Create' action, you would do something like this:

getActionName() == "Create"

For example, here's a simple behaviour that will set the description to 'Hello' on create. 

def field = getFieldById("description")
if(getActionName() == "Create"){
field.setFormValue("Hello")
}

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Jenna 

Samantha Webber December 20, 2017

Hi Jenna,

Thanks, that's very useful to know.

For my particular solution I ended up doing this, in order to check whether the field in the edit view was different from the value stored in the database:

//grab due date in edit view
def dueDate = getFieldById(getFieldChanged());

//grab current due date from database
CustomField currentDueDate = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject('customfield_10025');
String currentDueDateAsString = (underlyingIssue?.getCustomFieldValue(currentDueDate) as Date)?.dateString;

//check if date was changed in edit view
if(!dueDate?.value || (dueDate?.value as Date)?.dateString != currentDueDateAsString) {

//require reason box so that user is forced to enter text
    reasonBox.setRequired(true);
}

As this differentiation turned out to be more relevant than whether the issue was newly created or not.

But I find this information very useful, so thanks again.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events