Work Log for Epic

AJ November 2, 2017

I have an Epic in a structure.   Within the Epic, I have various issues.  For each of the issues, I have logged work.  How do I see the total of all the work logged for each of the issues rolled up to the Epic so that I can see it on the structure.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2017

Hi AJ,

Is this question related to the previous one? In that case are those issues in the structure or outside of it? If they are in, you can obviously sum over sub-items, if they are not - could you explain why don't you add them to the structure?

Regards,
Egor

AJ November 3, 2017

Thanks Egor.  Yes, this question is related to the previous one.  Earlier I was thinking of having something outside of structure, but I do not think that would work.  So let us have everything in structure.  Based on that, I was trying to test something out.  I created an Epic somewhere within the structure (under some task). Within that Epic, I created various issues (those issues do not show up in the structure, but that is OK).  For each of those issues, I logged some work against them.  What I expected to see is the total of all those hours in the Epic on the structure.  But I do not see that. 

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Hi AJ,

As mentioned earlier, issues that are not added to structure in the first place are invisible to structure summary columns. The only exception is if they were filtered out by filter transformation, where you can uncheck "After filtering" setting in the summary column to see summary for hidden issues. But those issues need to be added to structure first, before filtering.

Regards,
Egor

AJ November 6, 2017

Hello Egor.  Maybe let us try this one question at a time.  I created an Epic in the structure.  Within the Epic there is option of create Issue.  I created some issues.  Those issues do not show up in the structure tree.  Is that how it is supposed to be?

Thanks,

AJ

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2017

Hi AJ,

The issue created in Epic does not necessarilyy appear in Structure. You would have to add Extend>Stories under Epics for those issues to appear in structure, at which point their values can be used by summary columns.

Regards,
Egor

AJ November 6, 2017

Thanks Egor.  Please pardon me as I am new to this.  But how do I add Extended > Stories under the Epics?

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2017

Sorry, AJ,

I assumed you were using generators to build the Structure. Here is the quick start guide that shows how to use Automation in Structure.

And this is the documentation on Automation.

Basically, Automation allows adding issues to structure based on JQL and links to other issues.

Regards,
Egor

AJ November 7, 2017

Thanks Egor.   From what I understood reading the documentation, I added the Extended > Stories and sub-tasks to the Epic.  What I see in the structure is "add issues belonging to epics" and "add subtasks".   I already have issues in the epic, but they are not showing up in structure.   Do I need to do anything else?  Something needs to be executed for those issues to show up in structure?

Thanks,

AJ

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2017

Hi AJ,

It is hard to guess what may be happening here. Perhaps those issues are linked to Epic by parent-child link instead of Epic link. Screenshots of your structure, including generators and of the Epic with the issues under it would help a lot here. Maybe it would be better if we continue investigation via our Service Desk, feel free to log a ticket there (or you can simply write to support@almworks.com. If you want to continue investigation here, that's fine also.

Regards,
Egor

AJ November 8, 2017

Hello Egor,

I am not sure how to figure out if the link is Epic parent-child or Epic Link.   I am attaching the screenshots.  First one is the one of my structure.  The second one is with Automation On.  Third one is with the specific Epic being showed with the issues and subtasks within the epic.  Hopefully this will help in figure out what I am doing wrong. 

first.JPGsecond.JPGthird.JPG

Thanks,

AJ

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2017

Thanks for the screenshots, AJ,

The problem here is the location of generators. For issues linked by epic link to appear in structure, corresponding generator should be above the epic in the hierarchy. It's best to put all generators at the root of the structure (under its first line).

Note that epic link is represented by Issues in Epic and parent-child in your case is "relates to" link.

Regards,
Egor

AJ November 9, 2017

Thanks Egor.  That worked perfectly.  Appreciate your help.  I will close this one. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events