Structure formula question: Get total story points in a Structure?

c7788 August 1, 2018

Hello. I have  Structure board that is built via a query at the top level. I typically group it using the Component field. I would like to create a formula column showing each group's percentage of the story points in the entire Structure board.

What I can't figure out is how to access the number representing the sum of all points in the Structure. Is there a number representing this, or a way to calculate it?

Thank you.

2 answers

3 votes
Richard Noons February 19, 2019

example.pngAttached is an example of what I do if it helps.

Story Points - choose Sum over sub items and chose sigma story points.

Using formulas : IF (Status = "Closed"; StoryPoints) - for closed story points

for sized Issue Count : COUNT#all {Story Points}

Total Issues : IF(itemtype = 'issue';COUNT#all{Summary} and issueType != "Epic")

Resolved Total : IF(itemtype="issue"; COUNT#all{Summary} and issueType != "Epic" and (Status = "Resolved" or Status = "Verified"))

Closed Total : IF(itemtype = "issue"; COUNT#all{Summary} and issueType != "Epic" and Status = "Closed")

Rich

0 votes
Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2018

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

We are planning to add the ability to aggregate at the sibling level, but we are unable to communicate a timeline as to when this is going to happen. I will post here when the improvement has been released.

I'm sorry I don't have better news. Please reach out to support@almworks if you have any other additional questions.

Best Regards,

Vlad

ALM Works

c7788 August 7, 2018

Thank you Vlad. I will look forward to it.

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2018

You are very welcome! Sounds good! 

c7788 January 22, 2019

@Vlad[ALM Works] Hello Vlad. Has this functionality been added to the roadmap? I would also like to show a percentage of all Time Spent / Time Remaining shown on the Structure board. 

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2019

Hello!

This is currently in our backlog but it's a popular request and we hope to have it scheduled soon. I will let you know once we know more. Are you looking to show a percentage from the Sum Time Spent/ Sum Remaining Estimate of your whole structure or do you mean something else?

Please feel free to elaborate on the use case so I can either recommend a Formula, if possible or share your use case with our Product Team.

Best Regards,

Vlad

c7788 January 27, 2019

Thanks for the reply! The answer to your question is yes. However, I would also like to have any number-based field do this. Here is a use case:

We have a custom field that sums up days spent on all tasks in an Epic. And, I have a Structure board that shows five epics. Each epic had one day spent on them. So, total days spent as shown on the Structure board = 5.

Allow me to access the total of 5 as a variable, so that I can create a Percentage column called Percentage of Days Spent, such that each item shows 20%.

Please allow this for any built-in or custom number-based field, such as Story Points.

Please let me know if I can clarify on that use case further.

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2019

Excellent! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. This is what we are planning for but I'll make sure to share your thoughts with our Product Team. I will reach out here once the feature has been implemented. 

If you have further questions or need additional help with Structure, please feel free to reach out to our Support Team at support@almworks.com.

Best Regards,

Vlad

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 30, 2020

Hello Claudine,

I just wanted to let you know that the described calculation can be possible using the PARENT{SUM#children{ ... }} function that was added in Structure 6.0. So please feel free to try the function on this version or on a later one.

And if you need any assistance with the Formula column, please don't hesitate to contact us directly via support.almworks.com for proper support.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like ilia kassianenko likes this
ilia kassianenko March 15, 2022

@Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_ Is this calculation in Jira cloud as well ?

e.g.  PARENT(SUM{...})

Like # people like this
David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

Hello @ilia kassianenko ,

David from ALM Works here. 

The formula that Stepan provided, PARENT{SUM#children{ ... }}  ,does work on Cloud as well!  

Best,
David

Like # people like this
Kathryn Vargas _Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2022

Hi @ilia kassianenko,

Nice to see you using Formulas on Cloud already :) Speaking of which, you're more than welcome to attend our upcoming virtual event – Structure Formulas: Unleash Data Superpowers in Atlassian Cloud – in case you'd like to learn more about the feature and use cases. Hope to see you there!

Best, 
Kathryn

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events