Clone Issues when copying structure

AJ April 13, 2018

When copying a structure, it gives an option of cloning the issues or not.   I do not even want my team to be able to choose "no".  I always want them to clone (copy) the issues and not be able to use the same issue as original.  The reason is that the structure I have is a template and I do not want anyone to accidentally change it (which has now happened multiple times because they choose "no" when they were copying).  How can this be achieved?

2 answers

1 vote
Gabriel Senna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2018

Hi AJ,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to restrict this option.

Due to the fact that this is a permission that you give to your users, this permission gives the option to copy or not the issues, not being able to block this option.

Maybe if you are in Server that are some configuration that it's possible, removing this option from the form.

0 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2018

Hi AJ,

If I understand correctly, the problem is that a user copied the template structure without cloning the issues, and then proceeded to change those "template" issues.

As Gabriel points out, you cannot force the user to choose "clone" option.

One way around it is to make sure that a random user cannot actually change those template issues. This can be achieved by creating a separate Jira project for the template issues and restricting Edit Issues and other permissions to that project. When you do Copy & Clone in Structure, you can actually select a different, "real" project to clone the issues into. 

That said, it still requires some kind of instructions to be published for the users, but at least your template structure and issues will not be modified.

Hope this helps!

Igor

AJ April 24, 2018

Thanks Igor.  This is still a workaround.  It would be nice to be able to restrict user.  No matter how many instructions are provided, someone will make mistake.  If it can be handled such that the user will not be able to do that option, it will make sure my template does not get changed. 

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2018

Another option would be to use Structure API to programmatically create the copy of the template. Then that code can be invoked with a single press of a button. But this requires some effort to develop a custom script or an addon, either with your own resources or with the help of consultants. There should be quite a few guys here in the Community who could do this! Let me know if you'd like to explore this option.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events